The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moroso 20558 7 quart oil pan.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moroso 20558 7 quart oil pan.
    Posted: 26-July-2021 at 3:39AM
Weekend before last, I took my Torino out to stretch its legs. I drove approximately 250 miles. I brought it back into the shop (that I share with two other friends) and noticed the trans was leaking (not uncommon with TKO). I figured I'd jack it up and let it cool over night Saturday and take a look Sunday...that's when things went bad.

One of my buddies got stuck with babysitting two of his grandsons. They are 8 & 5 years old. I cherrish teaching fabrication and hot rodding to younger folks and both these boys LOVE out old vehicles and seem to really be interested in what we're doing. But...being a working shop (always 3 or 4 projects going on), there are many potential dangers for young kids. 

When I was getting everything assembled to jack the car up; one of the young men had gotten into something and distracted me. I corrected the action and returned to complete my task. I *thought* I had the jack placed under the cross member; but I had it too far to the front. As I jacked the car up, it slipped and I heard a crunch. Looked under the car and the oil pan was on the jack. My heart stopped.

I pulled the jack and discovered that the oil pan was severly dented. Enough that I was pretty sure that this would have to be checked before I spun the engine over again. I was correct.

I previously had a Moroso 20557 6 quart pan. I figured that if I had to do this; I was at least going to make things better. You can never have too much oil capacity in a Cleveland. I ordered the Moroso 20558 7 quart pan. It's advertised as 7 quarts plus filter. It is actually more shallow that a stock pan or the 6 quart unit, so it has it's own specific pick up.

So...I unhook the exhaust from the headers, remove motor mount bolts, remove the fan shroud, remove the carburator and install the lift plate. Remove the hood and hook up the overhead chain fall. I get under the car and start removing oil pan bolts. The engine needs to go higher. I remove the wiper motor and vacuum can from the firewall. Lift engine another 2-3" and start pulling the pan out...gotta remove the sway bar. Get the sway bar removed and out comes the old pan.

As suspected, the pick up took some damage as well. The angle doesn't show it, but the tube was bent as well as tweaked about 12 degrees. It definately would have sucked some air after getting oil circulating, IMO.

I pulled the oil pump to install the new pick up. They auto parts store gave me the wrong oil pump gasket. I looked around and all of the parts stores showed the same gasket. Luckily, I keep gasket paper & I have a set of punches to make my own. When I went to install the new pan, it was hitting the cross member on the kick out. I also was not able to use my oil pan snap ups. I did something I HATE doing....I had to glue the gasket to the pan. I've always put high temp silicone in the corners where the gaskets meet, but I'm a big believer in letting gaskets do their job. I had to get the pan "close" and hold it while I had a buddy lower the engine down so it shifted forward. Finally got it in place and bolted it up. Put everything back together, fired it up and let it idle 15 minutes, shut it down and checked for leaks.

This oil pan fits our chassis. It's tight, but it's there. The sump sits above the cross member, and it *can* be installed without pulling the engine...just be patient.

After all of this: next week end I will look for my tranny leak.

1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 3:56AM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

I previously had a Moroso 20557 6 quart pan. I figured that if I had to do this; I was at least going to make things better. You can never have too much oil capacity in a Cleveland. I ordered the Moroso 20558 7 quart pan. It's advertised as 7 quarts plus filter. It is actually more shallow that a stock pan or the 6 quart unit, so it has it's own specific pick up.
...I had to glue the gasket to the pan. I've always put high temp silicone in the corners where the gaskets meet, but I'm a big believer in letting gaskets do their job. I had to get the pan "close" and hold it while I had a buddy lower the engine down so it shifted forward. Finally got it in place and bolted it up. Put everything back together, fired it up and let it idle 15 minutes, shut it down and checked for leaks.

This oil pan fits our chassis. It's tight, but it's there. The sump sits above the cross member, and it *can* be installed without pulling the engine...just be patient.

Well that was an adventure. Hopefully it doesn't leak and the trans is also no big issue. It's good to know of another pan that bolts on and fits. Did that one have any baffling inside, a built in windage tray or side kick out, just below the pan rail? Those are high end features, some pans have them in lower cost units, most don't.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 4:02AM
It has a built in crank scraper and baffling. Seems to be well made and the box said made in the USA.

I'm thinking the trans leak may be where I didn't get the bolts sealed. TKO's use anaerobic sealer instead of gaskets. I've read where the bolts that hold the case together have to have sealer applied. I don't remember doing that, but it's been almost 2 years ago.

Edited by BadHabit351 - 26-July-2021 at 4:08AM
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 4:28AM
I hope for the best on that.

I just finished my 98 302's timing cover gasket, in an Explorer that is a really tight space job. I spent hours prepping and cleaning everything for the final sealing. The oil pan is aluminum, so it wouldn't flex or come down at all. I was fortunate someone prior had changed the timing chain set, so the cover came off relatively easily. I went very slowly at sealing the cover to the pan, the WP, bolts etc. I'm happy to say I got that right, the leak I had was likely from the prior person being sloppy with cleaning the timing cover and the gaskets etc. I hate leaks and as I get older I'm more concerned with them.

I love Ultra Black RTV, but it has to be used lightly, too much or on bolts in blind holes can be bad.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 4:40AM
I agree on the leaks. It drives me insane, and is getting worse as I get older as well. I've always hated doing timing chains just for this reason. Patience is the key.
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 4:41AM
And if sealing the bolts doesn't fix it; then the tranny will be coming out again. I will not accept a leak.
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 5:41AM
Most leaks can be fixed, if you can get at the offending parts. I have sealed the back of an intake, blown out gasket, an oil pan leaking a lot, blown out gasket again. I also did a couple of valve covers with cork that I left in place and smeared the RTV over the whole seam.

If you can narrow it to bolts, and the fluid isn't under big pressure, clean it all well, and put Ultra Black or Copper etc, around the upper shank of the bolt. That should stop leaking around a bolt head, I've seen that done.
Don
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 9:43AM
yeah i went to great lengths to make sure mine didn't leak!

i love when you got to the parts store with car buddies and i point to an empty parking space with big grease spots on the ground (from years of cars parking there) and say "look a ford was just parked here"LOL  then i get " probably was a chevy parked here" i say "no, they don't break down, so need need to even come here" LOL but i like when a dodge guys says "yep at least you know it wasn't a mopar" then i say "yep that's true (long pause.... they're thinking ha they got me... ( then i finish with "yeah a mopar wouldn't even make it this far" LOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2021 at 10:55AM
Used to tell Ford guys that LTD stands for "Loves To Dribble".
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2021 at 4:06AM
Five of the six bolts that hols the tailshaft housing on the TKO were wet on the shoulders. The threads were dry and I did apply sealer...but just to the threads. I cleaned the bolts, applied anaerobic sealer to the threads and Ultimate Black sealer around the shoulders. Retorqued the bolts and washed down the tranny with brake clean. 

I took it out for a quick spin and will take it out again after I get my hood back on (no one to help this past weekend) to make sure I fixed the leaks.

2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
 Post Reply Post Reply