The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351c fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michmusman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351c fuel pump
    Posted: 29-October-2021 at 1:12PM
I am trying to replace the fuel system on a 72 Gran Torino and I thought I saved the easiest part for last.  All I need to do now is to replace the mechanical fuel pump but I am having trouble getting a wrench on the upper fuel pump bolt.  Do I have to lift the air-conditioning compressor to get at it or is there a trick I cannot figure out?  Do I have to lift more than the air conditioning compressor?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Steve
Steve

72 Gran Torino
former 71 Torino
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 8:27AM
i haven't dealt with an A/C'd Clevo in decades and i'm having trouble seeing it from here LOL

have you had a go from underneath yet?
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2021 at 7:35AM
I would bet the FP bolts are like getting at water thermostat housing bolts on 302's. I know I changed the fuel pump on my 351C-2V when I had it in high school, the AC compressor doesn't have to be moved.

Find the right socket and extensions for a ratchet. I love a 1/4" drive ratchet with extension and a 1/2" swivel socket, for the distributor hold down, and the 302 thermostat bolts. It likely will take that kind of tool combination to get at those FP bolts.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
michmusman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michmusman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2021 at 1:03AM
Thanks, Don!

I am able to get a crow's foot wrench on it and with a swivel extension, I think I will be able to get the job done.  I am going to make a trip to the store to see if I can just find a swivel socket to fit over the bolt and extend around the FP housing for a bit easier time of it.

Steve
Steve

72 Gran Torino
former 71 Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2021 at 1:53AM
Yes, some things require special tools or extra time for. I acquired my Snap-On 1/2" swivel socket over 302 years ago, then just for the distributor. It was about $15 off of the Snap-On truck, and worth it many times since then. I have most swivel sockets now, Craftsman sets I got many years back.

Keep at it and slowly figure out what tools are worth buying for a one time use, and others that are best to borrow or rent.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2021 at 1:18AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Yes, some things require special tools or extra time for. I acquired my Snap-On 1/2" swivel socket over 302 years ago, then just for the distributor. It was about $15 off of the Snap-On truck, and worth it many times since then. I have most swivel sockets now, Craftsman sets I got many years back.

Keep at it and slowly figure out what tools are worth buying for a one time use, and others that are best to borrow or rent.

302 years ago...dang, dude...just how old ARE you?
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2021 at 2:37AM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

302 years ago...dang, dude...just how old ARE you?

Funny, I didn't catch that in editing. I typed "30", and then wanted to say "over ...", so went back and changed the "0" to a "2", but obviously didn't delete the "0."

I bought that socket before 1988, when I was working at several dealers where the tool trucks visited every week.
Don
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2021 at 5:32AM
I just replaced mine a couple of months ago, and I had to take the power steering pump loose to get to it without special tools. It was a breeze once I did that (the morning before our big car show no less!) 351C with AC

Frank
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2021 at 6:30PM
I replaced mine a week or two ago. I used a normal 1/2 inch wrench for the bottom bolt, and a socket with one of these wrenches for the top. I didn't have to move the power steering pump or anything, since the handle is short enough and can change its angle.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2023 at 12:29PM
Can anyone tell me why my new fuel pump came
 with 2 gaskets??
Al
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2023 at 1:32PM
Thinking cause some engines that use this same pump have a spacer??

Removed the old one... bolts were finger tight & x2 gaskets fell off with it! lol... bonus 3rd gasket still on mounting pad took an hour to get off & clean up....ffs!

Figure i'll use 1 with some gasket sealer !
Al
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2023 at 4:20PM
I think mine was cleaned and the new pump installed without a sealer. There is no pressure on the gasket, just oil from the timing chain. I am willing to bet it is there in the event you break one. Then you won't get stuck needing a ride to an auto parts store.

Edited by handsofstone - 16-March-2023 at 4:25PM
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2023 at 4:22PM
Cheers for that fella!
Al
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2023 at 1:01PM
All done, top bolt was a pain but managed it from the top, without moving the power steering pump, just using a standard 1/2" spanner.... 1/10th of a turn at a time. lol & yes the 2nd gasket is for other engines with a spacer!

Al
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2023 at 11:08PM
Want to swap out the hard line from the pump.... is that thread 1/4" NPT ??
Al
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2023 at 11:28PM
Should be 5/16. I used this on my Carter pump to run a 3/8 hose to my carb:

Edelmann 822560 Brass 5/16" Inverted Flare X 3/8" Hose 90 Degree Elbow Fitting

Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2023 at 11:39PM
Thanks Dan, wasn't aware or the correct terminology either! Thumbs Up
Al
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2023 at 2:45PM
5/16" is the tubing size but threaded flare connections don't use NPT. it just is what it is for the 'tube nut' for the correct diameter tube for the outlet port on the pump. it's a straight thread so the NPT taper doesn't snug up before the flare crushes. if the fuel pump has a threaded inlet port w/o a flare then that will be tapered NPT unless it's a high-end pump, then all bets are off as it could be machined for a Straight Threaded O ring (STO) connection

72 GT Ute

AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2023 at 3:09PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

5/16" is the tubing size but threaded flare connections don't use NPT. it just is what it is for the 'tube nut' for the correct diameter tube for the outlet port on the pump. it's a straight thread so the NPT taper doesn't snug up before the flare crushes. if the fuel pump has a threaded inlet port w/o a flare then that will be tapered NPT unless it's a high-end pump, then all bets are off as it could be machined for a Straight Threaded O ring (STO) connection

Thanks Rock!.... never too old to learn, haven't been down this rabbit hole before.
Al
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2023 at 2:30PM
Originally posted by AUS GTS AUS GTS wrote:

Thanks Dan, wasn't aware or the correct terminology either! Thumbs Up

Have ordered that same one from the U.S. , as its "cheaper" than the local speed shops. Confused
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply