The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

convertible top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ml7burbank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: convertible top
    Posted: 30-October-2021 at 6:42AM
Hello.  I'm hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. My convertible top went down correctly....no issues.  I went to put it back up and it is not budging.  I hear the motor but there's no movement and I can't manually close.  Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Mike L.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 2:59PM
I don't have much experience with convertible s but I can offer some advice. Do you have the factory service manual? It should have some trouble shooting in there. Otherwise it sounds like maybe you have leaks in the lines or bad seals in the cylinders. Maybe take out the back seat to see if you can inspect the lines. Make sure nothing is binding on the mechanism. You might be able to disconnect the hydraulic cylinders which would allow you to manually move the top back up until you get it fixed. 

Good luck and keep us posted 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
ml7burbank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ml7burbank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2021 at 12:46AM
Thank you Vince. Great suggestions.  I'll give them a try and keep you posted.
Mike L.
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 4:28AM
Hello.

If you can hear the pump working, and the top is not moving, it could be bound up, low on fluid or have internal / external leaks.

If it is bound you should see it start or try to move and hear the motor load up as it binds, check to make sure it is free and all the pivots / linkage are not wedged.

If it is low on fluid or leaking, then you need to isolate the issue within the hydraulics.

It is hard and slow, but with two people, and slow, constant, pressure you can manually close the top, but go easy so not to bend anything and be aware that until you get it closed to a point that gravity will be helping it down to the windshield frame it will want to "Fall"open against you.

If you need any parts I have a complete working set up out of another one.

Thanks, Mike H.

ml7burbank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ml7burbank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 5:58AM
Thank you for the input!   I actually tried several of the things you have recommended.  I could hear the pump straining but without any top movement.  I topped off the hydraulic fluid and still no success.

I got my mechanic ionvolved and he was able to determine that the pump, although receiving electrical power, was nonfunctional.   We just ordered a new pump and he's going install it and bleed the system.

Additionally, he did testing on the switch...he's convinced there is a short and he'll replace that, too.

Unfortunately, snow will be here soon (in Buffalo) and I hope to have this all buttoned up before then.....will keep you posted.

Thank you again, this forum is awesome!

Mike L.
Mike L.
 Post Reply Post Reply