The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's it worth...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tod-hog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's it worth...
    Posted: 18-February-2009 at 3:41PM
I am a huge LTD II fan and have been looking for a 2 door LTD 2 sport for a while. I"ve run across a one oner low mileage (44k) model with all the goodies-bucket seats, floor shifter, full instrument panel and the 351. I have not seen in it in person but from pics it appears outstanding.

My personal affinity for the car aside, what is this thing worth?
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2009 at 2:12PM
depending on your location, if its rust free and you like it, and have the money anywhere from 1500-3800 would be what i would pay for it, but i would go and look at it first

NADA lists a
$2,531
LOW
$4,750
AVG
$6,500
HIGH

But i think its kind of high

Edited by 1975MontegoMX - 19-February-2009 at 2:18PM
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2009 at 3:42PM
Did you get it?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
tod-hog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tod-hog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2009 at 4:05PM
Unfortunately, no. The car is owned by a couple in Kansas that bought it new.
Inexplicably, they have it in their head that it's worth $10,000 in spite of not getting a single bid in a recent ebay auction.

I have exchanged several emails and tried to educate them of how to determine a fair price for the car (which is what prompted my post here-maybe i was ignorant). I have no idea where they derived the $10k figure and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me. I did tell them that if it was perfect, i might exceed the NADA price, perhaps even up to $7500. My offer was foolishly ridiculous (i'm sure some of you are questioning my faculties as you read this). But they didn't even reply to my last email. Wow. 

Maybe they love the car too. 

1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2009 at 1:47PM
It seems like everyone now, who has an older car thinks its worth a ton
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2009 at 8:29AM
For an LTD II with 44K on it, mint condition, I can see it being worth close to original sticker $6-8K, but not much more. There's a guy with a full-size 76 LTD coupe somewhere who wanted $25,000 for it and it had 72K on it. Some people just don't get it.

I'm sure there are more reasonably priced LTD II's out there in as nice condition, maybe without the pretty odometer number, but still very nice. Those should be $2000-$3000 at most and would absolutely be worth searching for. I just don't see any reason to spend more than $3000 or so for ANY car. Even if my wife wanted a 2004 model car, I would find one for $3000 or less.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 4:33AM
Well, I know around here, a couple Ford dealers have taken 1 owner trades in...seen a mint 77 tbird, Diamond Jubilee edition, just mint...asking $12,500. I was like . I know I also recall seeing a '78 XR7 around here a few years back at the Ford dealer I got my Contour from, and they were asking around $5700 for a really nice, clean car.
Thing is, they are probably really attached to it..but this is what they are probably going to get for now

I know if I had to try to sell my '72...probably would have a hell of a time trying to figure what it's "realistically" worth.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 24-March-2009 at 4:34AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 8:08PM

There is a 77 Ranchero that the local "USED CAR DEALER" did a quick shot of paint. I stopped and asked how much...

he said 15, I said cool! 1500 is a good deal tell me more about it.
He said NO $15,000! I said... ARE YOU CRAZY!? a $300 paint job where you can see you painted right over the rusted out holes.

MANY people think they have a gold mine when in reality you are not gonna get $5,000 for a 76 Pinto that your grandmother owned since new and has 30,000 miles on it, just because it is original and in mint condition!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 7:48AM
Mine is realistically priced at $2500 because I did all the bull work of rebuilding the entire suspension plus the extra goodies that go with it.
78 LTD II sport touring edition
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 10:56AM
78sport,
as I said in the other thread...

WELL WORTH the asking price!

I hope someone HERE buys it!
Better that car goes to a member who KNOWS what the car is and wants to give her the care and attention she needs to stay for years to come!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 12:02PM
the BIG problem with ranchero's is that people quote the NADA value and thsoe vaules are EXTREMELY skewed on ranchero's.  and i stress EXTREMELY.
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 12:05PM
Thanks cowboy. That is how I feel and I do ask plenty of questions to the potential buyer as to what his intensions are for the car. If he says put it in the barn and drive it sometimes then maybe not the right person. Somebody from morrisville, NY has been calling me about the car but hasn't made his last 3 appointments to view the car. Save this car now before it does get rust into it. It's hard to keep a car good outside in new york. The passenger side floor needs some work but the rest of the car is almost rust free. Car rides awesome and I'm sad selling it because of how sweet it is to drive but I'm taking a hit in the groin financially. I was really prepared to finish this car too Cry 
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 1:30AM
Originally posted by tod-hog tod-hog wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The car is owned by a couple in Kansas that bought it new.
Inexplicably, they have it in their head that it's worth $10,000 in spite of not getting a single bid in a recent ebay auction.

I have exchanged several emails and tried to educate them of how to determine a fair price for the car (which is what prompted my post here-maybe i was ignorant). I have no idea where they derived the $10k figure and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me. I did tell them that if it was perfect, i might exceed the NADA price, perhaps even up to $7500. My offer was foolishly ridiculous (i'm sure some of you are questioning my faculties as you read this). But they didn't even reply to my last email. Wow. 

I dunno, I think $7500 is a good top-price for a mint LTD II sport with low mileage and all of the desirable options, especially if that's the car you really want. Let's face it, it's an interesting, rare car with lots of character; that's a lot of substance for $7500.

As far as I'm concerned, that is an infinitely better deal - for a more interesting car - than the hundreds of thousands of dollars you see Hemi Cudas and the like going for now. The "true" musclecars have gotten totally out-of-sight and, when you stop and think about it, they're really not good cars: they have the same quality and driveability issues as their non-muscular brethren, just with a bigger hunk of iron up front. And, people are too scared to drive their investments (sad that cars are now investments) on the road. Heck, I'm even getting nervous taking my T/A on the road now because of its skyrocketting value.

I think having an eye-catching, fun, inexpensive, interesting car is the ultimate joy for an automotive enthusiast, and that LTD II fits the bill perfectly. Really, aren't we in this hobby to have a good time?
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 2:11AM
Enjoying the car means more than what price was paid. Except in my case, because $355 and $320 to ship it down here is just darling. But were it a $3550 car I would enjoy it just the same because it is the 4-door '75-'76 Torino or Gran Torino with a blue interior I've been wanting since 1996. So it's all good.

If the seller won't budge on price, and you don't want to spend what he's asking, keep looking. I've also found, in addition to the Jaxed CL/eBay masher, another Craigslist search called Craiglook.com where I can search all the Craigslists and filter it down JUST RIGHT. For example, I found this '77 LTD II with 33K original miles in Detroit for $3250. It's a 2-door, it's black, it's not a Sport model but isn't part of the fun of buying these cars making it what you want it to be? This one is black already, wire hubcaps will sell easy on eBay, and make it how YOU want it. Without spending $7500 up front.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ctd/1661936343.html

Edited by occupant - 27-March-2010 at 2:11AM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 11:39PM
Man, that's an awesome deal for a beautiful car like that! Personally, I think the wires suit it, especially with the nice wide whites. Not every old car needs to become a hot rod!

But yes, this LTD II that Occupant posted is the perfect kind of car for the casual, car-loving enthusiast, IMO: cheap, nice looking, will turn heads on the street and at car shows, and you don't have to be affraid to drive it (well, maybe on gravel, but not on good roads :). I'm not kidding you, if I had a choice of being given that LTD II or a Hemi Cuda, assuming I wasn't allowed to resell and keep the money, I'd choose the LTD II, without a second thought.

Plus, you won't see LTD IIs in magazines, toy replicas, etc. which is unfortunate but true. However, this also means a lot more people will be like, "What is that?!" and that's always fun!

BTW that LTD II is making me realize that my Cougar wasn't that great a deal LOL! Still, I'm having fun with it, so it's worth it to me.

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 12:53PM

Sorry to push but mine is still for sale http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/1730120059.html

Dropped to 1800. I wish one of you ford guys would take it. I hate to see it go to waste or go to the wrong somebody. There really are a bunch of great parts coming with it. Sadly time is running out on my finances and the village snobs are already writing up my unregistered vehicle violation. Just bought a new cover for it but they won't get off my back
Ouch

Edited by 78sport - 07-May-2010 at 3:39PM
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 12:59PM
that sucks.  i can swing the sale price, BARELY but no way (read $$) to get it back home to MI.

Edited by mcford - 19-April-2010 at 1:08PM
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 1:32PM
Car would make the trip fine but way too much extra parts to pack in.

Edited by 78sport - 07-May-2010 at 3:41PM
 Post Reply Post Reply