The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road race style oil pan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJsTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road race style oil pan
    Posted: 26-December-2021 at 6:17AM
I did some searching on here and couldn't find anything. Has anyone used a Canton Road race style pan or similar on our cars? I'm curious if the crossmember under the the engine needs notched for clearance or if it was able to drop right in. 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2021 at 8:11AM
which engine 302 or 351W? the 302 pan is much smaller than the 351W

i ran into issues with a deep Moroso for a 351C in a 72. the deep sump caused a clearance problem with the pinch weld of the cross member under the engine. i was able to notch away the pinch weld flange and get the clearance i needed, i never did get that area welded though. some other pans create problems by attaching the deep sump in the area where the stock pans angle downward, the sump drops straight down into the crossmember. i'd say get dimensions and measure carefully to save a bunch of hassle & returns. are you familiar with Kevco pans?

https://kevkoracing.com/collections/ford-302-351w

72 GT Ute

DJsTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJsTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2021 at 10:54AM
Its a 351W. Those Kevco pans look pretty decent especially for the price compared to Canton. I'm not against cutting the crossmember, but if I dont have to that just makes life a little easier.
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2021 at 3:28PM
I was looking pretty hard at the Canton 660 pan, but the oil drain plug is on the back of the sump, potentially ackward and messy drain operation. Kevco has the oil drain plug toward the front which would be nicer if not interferring with the sway bar.  I need to have another look.
I know for a fact that the Ford Perf pan I picked up (M-6675-FT351) carries the sump too far toward the rear main, and just will not fit.
I think anything that carries the rear sump further back than 9 inches poses problems, but I can measure mine for reference.
Ron
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2022 at 9:42AM
Ok the Canton 660 pan "should" fit, but it's pretty tight near the crossmember because of the extended "T-wings".  However, accessing the drain plug would not be doable in my car without cutting the crossmember or moving the engine forward.  But I am slightly confused, the pictures of the 660 pan on the Canton website show the drain at the rear, but the line drawings show the drain at the passenger front.  If it was at the front I would be willing to use it with perhaps a bit of clearencing the crossmember if required.
The Kevco looks like an easy fit, but a bit less capacity.
I don't have either of these pans in my hands, so just eyeballing my car on the hoist and looking at the websites for reference.
Ron
DJsTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJsTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2022 at 11:21AM
I ordered the Kevco T shaped front sump pan. Guess we're gonna see if it fits when it comes in.
 Post Reply Post Reply