The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 2BBL Carburetor gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 2BBL Carburetor gaskets
    Posted: 14-January-2022 at 3:45PM
I rebuilt the 2100 carb on my 73 400 engine. I am getting ready to bolt it back onto the engine and I was looking at the base gaskets in the kit. Both of them are the thin gasket material just like what I took off the car. I looked on rock auto and it gives me two different gaskets. One is a Fel-pro 60185 which goes between intake and EGR spacer and is made of exhaust gasket material (made for heat). The second one is a Fel-pro 60716 which goes between the carb and EGR spacer which is 1/8" thick and has phenolic grommets.

So what are the right gaskets to use on my vehicle? The ones in my carb rebuild kit, the fel-pro ones or a mix?

Just so you know, when I took the egr spacer off, the gasket was burnt and disintegrated between the intake and egr spacer. 

Thanks 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2022 at 8:12PM
yeah thats common to be burnt how is the egr spacer??? they erode away!!!! i would think the heat one between the intake and the plate, and  a normal gasket between the plate and carb??? others might have a better suggestion....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 8:06AM
are you sure 1 of the gaskets isn't for the EGR plate? the 1 R/A shows looks like a regular carby gasket but i suppose it's temp rated?

anyway here's what R/A says is the EGR plate gasket

don't be afraid to touch up the flat surface of the plate with a file or sand paper on a flat surface

Edited by Rockatansky - 15-January-2022 at 8:15AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply