The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 headers
    Posted: 03-February-2022 at 12:48AM
I’ve asked before but I don’t know where to find the feed?? I was told FPA but I’m not seeing 460’s on their site? Thanks
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 3:44AM
What year is your Torino?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 3:46AM
sorry, 76
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 3:48AM
Hooker Super Comps work.  I know Aquartlow (Todd) uses them on his Big Block Ranchero.  He can give you more details on the fitment.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 3:57AM
thanks bro
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 5:17AM
I don’t know how to find members. Sorry 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 5:46AM
  Thank you Vince!  Hey CJJ! Yes, I have Hooker 6126's installed on my 472 in my '79 Ranchero(basically same chassis from '72-'79), been in use since 1991. If you have a questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'm always willing to help if possible. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 5:52AM
oh awesome thanks! Ya I read some comments about steering box and a few other issues. Seems fairly minor since I’m doing a 460 and taking out the 400. Motor mounts, brackets and fan shroud might be difficult unless I can find a midsized ford with a big block. Appreciate the offer for the help though, be nice to know going in possible issues. 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 11:53AM
If using Hooker headers(or most other brands), I would get the factory engine mounts if at all possible. I haven't heard a lot of good things when aftermarket mounts are used. IIRC, there are a few things I did to allow a better fit for my headers. 1) I had to just nip the rear portion of each upper control arm, just the rear corner, say 1/4" diagonal. 2) My idler arm needed a bit of grinding but nothing detrimental to the piece, it allows full lock to lock turning, but I did install new aftermarket idler arm so there may or may not be any grinding/clearancing needed. 3) Get good header gaskets, I use graphite gaskets from Flatout racing #7021, I've never have had a header gasket issue using them. 4) I fabbed up brake line heat shields where the headers get close at each upper control arm, I just used 16ga sheet metal to protect the factory brake lines where needed, it only required one on each side. 5) Fab up a heat shield to protect the bottom of the A/C plenum box that attaches to firewall on passenger side, plastic and header heat DO NOT MIX, I found out the hard way. I made a shield that attaches to bottom of floor board and has a "leg" that attaches to chassis with self tapping TEK screws. 6) Heat shield with self adhesive backing, cover the header side of the power steering box, a little bit of the fuel line near the PS box. It sounds like a lot but once headers are installed you will see and or find what is needed done. I ported my heads myself, so I made the commitment to run headers and I would do it again in a minute. As far as headers back, collector extensions are a good choice, I also went with full 3" dual exhaust and used Pypes brand trans tunnel X-pipe kit XVF13. This kit allows the exhaust to be tucked up almost inside the trans tunnel, but I can still drop my C6 pan without messing with exhaust tubing. Not sure if you would weld up your own exhaust like I did, but the kit has options and probably cheaper that having an exhaust shop do the same thing. 7) Where the X-pipe resides, I placed self adhesive heat shield on the bottom of the floor pans and used 1/4-20 stainless bolts with fender washers to keep it in place, roughly a piece 24" x 24" of heat shield. I ran the bolts from inside out using lock washers as well, can't tell they are there unless you are under the vehicle. The X-pipe tucks up to the floor board to within 3/4" in places. Hope this is helpful and doesn't scare you off from using Hooker headers. If you need any other info don't hesitate to ask.  

Edited by aquartlow - 04-February-2022 at 11:24AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2022 at 5:03AM
wow thanks bro! Really appreciate the detail!
 Post Reply Post Reply