The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C6 replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C6 replacement
    Posted: 24-March-2022 at 4:09AM
I’m thinking of future projects for my Torino.  I drove it for the first time on the highway since I purchased it the other day and although it ran well, I started thinking about options to replace the C6 with a transmission with overdrive.

Does anyone have any information on what transmissions are available that bolt to the 390 and can provide better highway driving?  
“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2022 at 4:44AM
That's going to be tough because the FE bolt pattern is different than the small-block or big-block patterns, so the AOD won't bolt up.

You could get a Gear Vendors overdrive unit to add to the C6, but it'll cost you. 
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2022 at 8:07AM
You are in a similar boat to me.  I have a C6 with the Big Block 385 series bell housing which means no AOD (I could use an E4OD, but it's a monster).  There are adaptor plates or companies that offer a replacement bell housing but both are big dollars.  Here is one for an FE:

The easiest option is a Gear Vendors OD unit but it too is very pricey.  The gear vendors setup is much more stout and offers gear splitting, but also only offers 0.78 overdrive.   It's probably a wash cost wise between building a hi-po AOD and modding it to fit an FE vs the Gear Vendors with your C6. 

I will probably go with a gear vendors down the road with my car, but it's a long way off.  Tht way I get to keep my bulletproof C6 and the car still has it's original drivetrain.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2022 at 8:19AM
I too would aim for the Gear Vendors unit, easy to adapt and very strong.

I don't know the oddity of the FE bell housing pattern, but if it's similar to the normal big block,  I might consider the six speed 6R80. But that is more high dollar, I estimate $3k for a combo with a used trans. That one is bullet proof compared to other OD transmissions, but the special controller is around $1300. They make adapters to use on the SBF and BBF types, and what I saw suggest the adapters are in the $700 range.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2022 at 3:08PM
All great info, thanks.  I’ve bookmarked the Gear Vendors site for future reference.
“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
 Post Reply Post Reply