The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

333rd time's a charm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 333rd time's a charm?
    Posted: 29-March-2022 at 4:08PM
cross your fingers, toes, arms & legs and tie your Censored in a knot

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1909853689258327/posts/3216288145281535/

" Track Boss cast-iron block ..... 1st sample block is cast & machined. Revisions have been made and molds are ready for another pour. ETA to pour the next block is tomorrow, Wednesday hopefully and we can pick up casting on Friday. If these revised changes are successful, we will slowly ramp up production. "

this honker is a brick schitthouse Shocked
72 GT Ute

pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2022 at 4:28PM
Thatโ€™s some crazy beautiful work !!! 
On a side note to TMINC , since they stopped doing machine work / building engines down there , any idea what shop picked up all their work ? Would sure like a name on the ford gurus that are building engines in southern Minnesota now!

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2022 at 1:29AM
Fingers crossed, I love new Cleveland parts, other than "they" keep creating basically stock spec parts. I like improvements, lots of them, and big ones. The Windsor and Cleveland both had good attributes, but the best block would be a combination of both. I'd remake intakes with taller ports(top higher and bottom higher too), heads should all have way taller exhaust ports, pistons should be shorter and rods longer, etc.

I support the new parts, I'm not condemning them. I just wish for more in every change, they don't go far enough. They try to make everything compatible with a stock vehicle, that's just dumb.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2022 at 2:06PM
i remember Tim saying that there is a shop fairly close to him but i don't think they're Ford biased by any means. Tim was taking work from around the country so it's not just that one shop picking it all up either. i hope (if it's what he wants to do) that Tim puts his shop back together after these blocks get rolling

this TrackBoss block is a morph of the Cleveland and Windsor blocks, it was originally supposed to be externally indistinguishable from a factory Cleveland block with internal strength improvements and the Windsor oiling system. in hindsight, i think the Cleveland oiling system with lifter bore sleeves is superior to the Windsor system but this is what we're getting. maybe

Don your 'dream parts' are all out there for the having, at least they were before the Covarius, me personally i like the ability to hang onto OEM compatibility. i never made the jump to the raised runner heads & intakes, yes they do make more power than the stock port height stuff but there are so many variations that don't play nice together ... i  just stick to what still works pretty darn good

have you had a look at these heads, stock port locations and that's about it

https://www.facebook.com/DarkworksUSA/
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2022 at 3:51PM
I like the promise of those blocks, I hadn't looked at any details of new stuff for a long time. I searched for heads a lot recently and didn't see much that was interesting below the $2500 level. I also like being able to use OEM parts, the heads I've always wanted to see a clear improvement of the ports without them being radically smaller and lower in airflow.

Many have promise, but they all fall short on airflow, and they are almost all 2V sized. I saw the Speedmaster head as one that seemed to be in the middle, but D Jones suggests they don't perform nearly as well as the TFS or Edelbrock versions. So I've kind of settled on the TFS heads, even though they are almost the same cost as CHI 3V versions.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2022 at 3:09PM
Just after Tim finished doing my engine work a few years ago now, I remember him telling that his machinist was leaving and moving out West for new job. I didn't realize he he gotten out of machine work all together now. Too bad, his shop was great.

I haven't followed the Track Boss block closely, so thanks for the update. Hopefully it works out. I just got my new track boss thermostat in the mail recently.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2022 at 6:04PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/263768747684/posts/10158787072532685/

" Track Boss cast-iron block update....
The newest revision iron block is on its 1st operation, and by tomorrow should go vertical and we will find out how well the cylinder bores size up. A "perfect" casting will give us .230" cylinder wall thickness with a 4.200" bore size...I don't think there is such thing as a perfect casting without some core shift, but as close as possible is what we are after...๐Ÿ˜Ž "
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply