The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torino rear end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geitae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino rear end
    Posted: 18-April-2022 at 12:00AM
Morning all. I have an older model AC Cobra kit. It has a torino rear end shortened out the other day heard a bunch of racket coming from the rear got it home into the garage and there is diff fluid on the ground passenger side. I didn't have time that day to inspect but when I get home going to lift it and see. I hate surprises anyone ever have this happen? What should I expect. Thanks 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2022 at 3:19AM
Welcome. If the gear oil on the floor is at the tire then it's likely the axle seal, caused by an axle bearing wearing out there. You like to catch those before too much grease is lost and it hurts the diff.

What rear differential type does it have, the 9" I hope? Hopefully the racket you mention, and loss of gear oil, is just the axle bearing and seal, and the differential isn't damaged.

If it was low on gear oil for a long while, it might have hurt the diff, which could need new bearings and gears. The 9" is great because it's very popular and you just unbolt it and remove it to work on it.

Start by removing the passenger axle and seal, and see how much gear oil is left in the diff.

Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
geitae View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geitae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2022 at 3:25AM
Ok that's what I needed to know. I'll be putting  it up in a little while 
 Post Reply Post Reply