The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Ford Gran Torino | Brake Master Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Ford Gran Torino | Brake Master Cylinder
    Posted: 07-May-2022 at 8:48AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to replace my brake master cylinder.  Can you recommend the best location for the part?

I'd like the best quality part available (my current one has rust on the outside due to age).

Make/Model:  1973 Ford Gran Torino w/ Power Brakes

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2022 at 10:02AM
I used NAPA  and have no issues. 
Steve M.
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2022 at 7:22PM
I bought a Centric master cylinder from CarID. Had it powder coated to give it a bare metal look but isn't actually bare metal Wink
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2022 at 9:02AM
I installed a new Cardone on mine and it lasted only a year or two. It seemed to have a porous casting and was leaking fluid - made in China.   I replaced it with a Doorman unit, which looked almost identical to the OEM unit.  It has been fine since.  I just rub my master cylinder down with an oily rag to keep the cast iron from rusting.  Exhaust manifold dressing might work too, but powder coat is probably the best (and most expensive) option.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2022 at 9:51AM
Thank you for the recommendations!

I'm going to do the master brake cylinder next week and then keep it oiled to prevent rusting in the future.

I'll add that to my maintenance to do's with : keeping the vinyl roof conditioned, the car waxed and the leather kept up with.

Definitely good feedback on doing one thing at a time!

Thanks,
Chris 
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2022 at 11:01AM
Is that an original vinyl top? If it's an OEM style I'd worry a bunch about the roof, they rust away generally at this age. I know nothing about how best to install one, I would bet that there is a proper method to seal a roof to survive under a vinyl top without rusting.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2022 at 11:36AM
Don,

I believe it’s original.  My sister purchased the car from the original family.

My friend that got the car running told me to use vinyl conditioner to keep the vinyl from cracking … I did it several times last year and this year and the vinyl softened up quite a bit and looks a lot better.

It sounds like what you and the others have shared with me that keeping up with waxing, lubrication,
leather, vinyl, plastic it helps.  

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply