The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

four speed swap questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: four speed swap questions
    Posted: 01-March-2009 at 1:35PM
Hi guys. i am gathering the parts for this infamous swap. putting a toploader in a 73 torino.
so far i have :
bellhousing, spacer plate, flywheel, pedal assy, and 4/speed trans. The trans is out of a 1970 torino 351c. the questions:
is the 70 tailshaft shifter location going to compatible with a 72-73?
is the shifter different?
is the clutch fork specific to this app? or can i use another year/model?
how about the z-bar?

i realize these parts are made of unobtanium.  any comments or answers appreciated
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2009 at 5:39PM

The shifters all swap.. Rather you have an early hurst or a stock shifter- all parts swap at the trans..The pieces you need are the manual trans pedals,dash hardware, dash braces & clutch  hardware(atlest the mechanical parts).. 72-74 are differant than earlier years.. The engines didn't cahnge , but the frame mounts and dash mounts changed..So you have to stick to 72-74.. I can tell you a lot of people have tried swapping these pices through the years.. Because the 429 pieces are so rare people have tried all these swaps.. If you stick to 72-74 parts you will be that much better off.. Just my opinion.. Also I feel 73-74 q-code c-6 combos are just as hard to get... Remember q-codes carried a stock 10" converter(2800-3000 stall) and heavier flywheel.. Find a get used 1 of those..

My dad told me 2 things.. Always drive FORDS and never marry women with names like CHERRY,PEACHES and LEMON
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2009 at 5:42AM
Pete-
On my 4 speed, I know that the Torino has a longer tailshaft housing that that of a Mustang. From what I know, it will still be the same length, if it's an automatic, I want to say either C4 or C6, but I can't confirm 100%.
I could measure the setup on that 1973 GTS in the driveway, but with my engine out, not 100% how close it'll be.
I do have 3 or 4 clutch rods if you need one. I got lucked and found an NOS piece for my car. I can't say if the fork is anything special...mine looks like a standard piece, like some mustang ones.
Z bar is going to probably be the biggest PITA. Oddly enough, I have seen a couple re-popped Z bar kits for 70-72 chevelles, and that Z bar looks awful close IMHO.
Slightly different shape, and of course the block mounded plate is different, but that could be corrected.
I had a 4x4 bellhouse off a 300 straight 6, and I know those are supposed to interchance with the 302-351...I was thinking if I ever decided to convert to a hydraulic clutch, might be the way to go, if you don't feel the need to run a scatter shield.

Personally, if you were really pressed to find a correct pedal setup, I originally was looking into one of the circle track part suppliers like Speedway motors or Southwest speed, and run a floorpan mounted clutch pedal, or you could run it, provided you modify the pedal set so that you can bolt or weld mount brackets to the hanger assembly.
I was going that route with my 1976 Elite before I found my GTS.
The 351c parts can be used on a 429, as there have been a couple cars that I know had had the swap done.
That one black 1972 GTS in my area with the Ford racing engine and 5 speed, all parts I have seen as is are from an original 351c 4 speed setup.
I recall years ago seeing a 429-4 speed 1972 MontegoGT on ebay...old conversion...guy had the car, bought it for the 429 and top loader, and had the car...freaking crime, I recall it didn't sell and he cut up a pristine body so he'd have the motor and trans for aPOS mustang that was originally a 6 cylinder.

Andy

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2009 at 5:59AM
The 70 tail shaft will be correct for the 72. Fork is the same as well. The Z-bar will be the problem. 72-74 only!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2009 at 1:13PM
thanks for the tips!.. i have found that the engine side pivot bracket and clutch fork is the same as the 71-73 mustang, and they make those repro.    I have a line on a junk old 3 speed 72 torino i am going to get all the pedals from.    I think i will document this whole swap for everyone since its so hard to accomplish!
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2009 at 12:49PM
i have a frame side pivot bracket should you need it.  shoot me an email.
Mike
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2009 at 1:32PM

i may need that from you, thanks. I remember where you live too!

We are taking the annual pilgrimage down to the all-ford show in Columbus the end of the month.      Hopefully i can find some stuff there.         Anyone else here going?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 5:47AM
OK, THAT is interesting, if you have pictures, or a link to the place selling the pivot, please post.
It would be nice to do a thread on 4 speed parts sourcing.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 12:28PM
i won an ebay auction for a NOS zbar for a 72-73 torino. it was ALOT of $$. but how often do you see them?   one more peice of the puzzle.....
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 2:48PM
I was watching that.. I saw the final bid and I'm scared to think what your actual high bid was.. My question is with all that feedback are you a buyer or seller.. Also way to go on trying to backdoor the auction; Thats a veteran move..
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 11:41PM
i'd say my feedback is 50% buyer and seller. you gotta sell stuff to buy what you need! I was prepared to spend alot, and am happy with what i spent on it.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 9:46AM
I asked because I was wondering if you had a NOS stash.. I still need some items to wrap up some odds and ends...
My dad told me 2 things.. Always drive FORDS and never marry women with names like CHERRY,PEACHES and LEMON
 Post Reply Post Reply