The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTF is this can??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF is this can??
    Posted: 09-June-2022 at 12:31PM
I've never known what this can is, was , or does. All I know its a pain in the ass. Haha. I'm getting ready to pull out and put in my finally finished engine. 
I would like to remove this dam thing can I?
Will it effect anything?
Thanks yall. 

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 12:37PM
That is your vacuum retaining cannister. That's probably not the correct name but it's job is to maintain consistent vacuum for your climate controls and cruise control and anything else vacuum related.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 1:48PM
Keep it.
Steve M.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 3:19PM
The factory can probably crapped out. Originally mounted in the middle of the firewall and the size of a tall can of beans it helped maintain somewhat constant vacuum for accesories. That looks like overkill but you can probably find an original and lose that one. Or maybe mount that one where the charcoal cannister was.
  The one in my first sport back in 81 had one that partially collapsed on decelleration and made a sound that reminded me of the lid on a pickle jar popping.
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 4:18PM
There were ones that looked like that one; there were ones that had ridges like a baked beans can; and then there were low short ones that looked like a bowl with a domed lid on it that were down by the crossmember.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 4:47PM
I planned on taking it out, as my climate controls don't work, along with my factory ac.
I don't  think my 429 SCJ will fit with the big black box in the corner. 

I talk to my pops, he came over and helped me remove the front clip to pull my engine n tranny easier.
Asked him boutbthe can he said the same thing as you guys. His is capped  and his climate controls work jus fine. 

I figure when it comes time for the  inside of the car I  should able be able to find something newer that is more effective  and efficient.  

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2022 at 2:49AM
You can bury that vacuum canister anywhere you like. They came in various sizes, if you have any questionable vacuum levels, plus the AC ducting, get the biggest one you can. You simply mount it hidden away, inside the fender etc, and run the vacuum line to it. They rarely fail ever, and I agree they look bad right on the fender.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2022 at 2:57AM
Ok, I definitely am not going for any kind of authentic original  restoration type build, so that'll be good mounting it somewhere else. Also on this one the nipple broke, so its unusable right now. 

Probably  have to find something to make due for right now. 

Thanks everyone  for your help. I'll post pics of engine removal and install when it happens. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2022 at 7:47PM
 i think i have a couple of those vac cans... id mount it up under the dash by the glovebox the main vac line comes in near there and there's room to hide it there tooWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2022 at 7:05AM
They fit behind the inner wheelwell under the fender. Mine fell off it's bracket and I shoved it there about 20 years ago. It's flat black and virtually invisible in a "wasted space" area.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2022 at 9:33AM
This thread made me realize I don't know where I put my canister during my teardown last year. I just looked and yep can't find it... think it got put in the junk pile along with the charcoal canister. Embarrassed 
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
 Post Reply Post Reply