The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 GTS Torino fender removal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 GTS Torino fender removal.
    Posted: 21-June-2022 at 3:29AM
Hello forum. Both of the fenders on my car need repairing. I would like to take them of, but that seems quite difficult.

Do you have to take the hood and hinges of too?…..to get the front fenders of?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2022 at 3:40AM
Oh yes, the fenders will be the last part of the front end to come off. You have to remove the hood and the entire front assembly. There are several bolts holding the front of each fender to the front corners and header panel etc. Those are the hardest to find and reach.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2022 at 3:59AM
Ouch..ok. Can lower fender repair be done with fenders on car?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2022 at 5:14AM
If it's rust you need to work on, taking it off might be best to get at the back side. If it's not major metal work to the fender, most things can be done without removing it.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2022 at 5:37AM
It is fender patching. About 1sqft each side….
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2022 at 6:11AM
One of mine has a bad section too at the very bottom rear. I'd bet that there is debris inside the fender there which has captured the water/moisture, and ate it from the inside out. If you are removing a large enough piece it may be possible to clean that out well enough that it doesn't have to be removed to fix that one part.

I'd bet to remove the front end to get the fenders off might take a couple of hours for someone not familiar with the car. I haven't worked on mine that way since 1988, I'm sure it won't take that long the next time either. I'd suggest taking them off, unless your body man is dead set against it, or the extra cost is ridiculous.
Don
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2022 at 2:52AM
The hood and hinges have to come off to remove the fenders. I am not sure if the entire front end needs to be removed to take off a fender, but I would think it's possible. I did the work on my car, I did the entire front clip.  It wasn't that hard to do, just somewhat time consuming.  We have several posts here about removing the front clip on a '72 Torino.  

These posts might be helpful to you:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2022 at 6:17AM
Later cars car remove a fender without removing the header, the fishmouth 72 Gran Torino may be different.
Hinge has to come off the fender apron, but hood can stay if supported properly. If both fenders are off, hood is going to come off though...
Don't think an inner fender will come off without removing the outer.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2022 at 7:16AM
Great info! Thanks. I have all the books too.

I will start taking it apart..slowly..slowly….

Both my fenders need welding, and I would like to see what it looks like behind themShocked

Now, I just need to get my engine running fine again! New carb tomorrow!..yey!Wink
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2022 at 9:04AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Later cars car remove a fender without removing the header, the fishmouth 72 Gran Torino may be different.
Hinge has to come off the fender apron, but hood can stay if supported properly. If both fenders are off, hood is going to come off though...
Don't think an inner fender will come off without removing the outer.

Like I said I above, I didn't take off the fenders rather did the who clip on my car.  However, having worked on it, I am fairly confident you could remove just the fender without the entre front header panel. And you can definitely remove the outer fender without taking off the inner fender (wheel house) as I did that on my car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply