The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Mercury Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Mercury Headers
    Posted: 06-August-2022 at 4:29AM
Just got word back from FPA , they have never built headers for a 351m / Fmx  car . Didn’t seem like much interest as I got a one line response from them . 
 I see Hooker quit building the 6125 HKR too . 
So….. I sure can’t justify a performance 400 build in this chassis with cast iron exhaust manifolds. 
Maybe I will put an LS motor in it , that seems to be about the only platform being supported by the aftermarket . 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2022 at 10:54AM
I have the 6125s and they are good. Maybe try to find some old stock or used ones. Otherwise another option is Sanderson Shorties. No one has tried them but I think the Mustang set might work. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2022 at 11:00AM
Originally posted by pyntre pyntre wrote:

Just got word back from FPA , they have never built headers for a 351m / Fmx  car . Didn’t seem like much interest as I got a one line response from them . 
 I see Hooker quit building the 6125 HKR too . 
So….. I sure can’t justify a performance 400 build in this chassis with cast iron exhaust manifolds. 
Maybe I will put an LS motor in it , that seems to be about the only platform being supported by the aftermarket . 

What engine parts do you have now, and what are the goals and budget? A 351M or 400 have limitations that are tougher than other engines. The 351C is kind of popular but most things are geared towards milder combinations and stock trans, rpm's, carb intakes and stock accessories. It takes some thought to work around the limitations.

Late model engines will drop right in, any Ford, the LS, even the later Fords(Coyote 5.0 etc). But installing an operating system might be a big project on its own.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2022 at 11:20AM
Oh at worst case scenario I will have a set of headers made , 
As far as goals , not after a big horse monster by any means , I already have a few of those , I just figured if I am going to go to the trouble of rebuilding the 208,000 mile engine that’s in the car , I might as well make it worth the time and trouble ! 
The 150 horse power smog plugged anchor that it came with can barely get out of its own way anymore , if it ever could! 
So maybe 350 horse - 400 ft lb  , that’s not asking too much out of a modern cam , intake , ignition and exhaust I wouldn’t think ! 
Nothing exotic , it’s a 4200 lb couch with a hood that could seat 30 people !! 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2022 at 2:06PM
Ah, that's a reasonable and IMO feasible goal. The 351M is the same as a 400 besides the crank and rods. You can easily rebuild the engine with a 400 crank and rods, raise the compression enough to gain efficiency. Vince can tell you how he built a nice 400 that will definitely move far better than the stock stuff.

It would be best to acquire closed chamber heads like the Australian 2V versions, then it can be less likely to ping or need too much retarding of the timing. The right cam(a custom cam will) does allow for regular gas if you keep the compression under about 9.7:1, open chamber heads likely would have to have notably less compression in all cases.

That kind of build with stock crank and rods, block, OEM heads, should make 400lbsft of torque at  streetable rpm levels. The intake and carb etc, it matters, the exhaust manifolds, headers would be great but the stock manifolds wouldn't kill it completely.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2022 at 3:57PM
It’ll be a 400 , just picked up a 82k mile 
400 out of a 79 Lincoln . 
So a 400 +.20 - .30.   Might buy a set of bare aluminum heads and load it up with Valves from Tim Meyer ,his pistons too , already have a hydraulic roller cam for it . Figure labor on these iron heads I may be half way to aluminum anyway . 
Just really bums me out how Holley and a few other conglomerate corporations have bought all the little companies up and then discontinue production on half the parts , what’s the use ???
Yeah so 350 /400 - 400/ 450 hp /tq would be just fine !!

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 3:46AM
Great, and good find for the low mileage 400. I think I'd stick with the cast iron heads and limit the rpm's since it's a 400 and the headers are not to be found. I've priced both ways for a long while, and I'm going to do the 4V heads on my complete 351 truck, while choosing the TFS for my other one, also 351C with similar headers and cam, intake etc. The aluminum heads will end up being way over $2k no matter what, while the cast iron might be in the $1200 or so range.

I know that nobody is close to me, but maybe one day someone will be able to buy my 400 block and crank, plus finished rods and pistons(polished and balanced with TRW .030 over). I began a 400 project in the late 80's, and the machine shop finally went under when the father died. They couldn't find my crank, so I later bought another 400 just for the crank which is still stock. This block was finished basically, .030 over with screw in freeze plugs, plus 4-bolt main caps. It's been stored in my garage since I got it back, rods/pistons inside in a box. I won't be building one for sure, but somebody could appreciate them.
Don
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 3:58AM
Trying to find a 400 block or crank these days takes some time and patience and a willingness to potentially drive a long way to get one !! You aren’t shipping 400 blocks or parts these days!!
Where are you located ? 
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2022 at 2:48PM

The 150 horse power smog plugged anchor that it came with can barely get out of its own way anymore , if it ever could! 
So maybe 350 horse - 400 ft lb  , 
As I understand it that's easy to get. That 400 would love a set of 4V heads and make better use of them. The do make spacers to adapt 351C intakes to those.
If my 351CJ gets hurt I might do a "400CJ" build. Just because.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2022 at 6:19AM
you should be able to fall on your Censored and make 450 hp, and more TQ than anybody needs

try to grab a set of Tim Meyer's pistons before they run out of stock again if they haven't already

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/piston-set-ford-400/
72 GT Ute

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2022 at 7:56AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

So maybe 350 horse - 400 ft lb  , 
As I understand it that's easy to get. That 400 would love a set of 4V heads and make better use of them. The do make spacers to adapt 351C intakes to those.
If my 351CJ gets hurt I might do a "400CJ" build. Just because.
  If you do a 400cj it will require replacing eveeything in between the engine and transmission. The 429 bellhousing was around $900. Not sure about the rest.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2022 at 6:54AM
what's the regular Competition header part number?

Holley / Hooker just recently discontinued a lot of numbers and clearanced them out cheap
so resellers will be advertising them, keep your eyes peeled. too bad you missed the deals

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply