The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand New Member here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shesheeley77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand New Member here.
    Posted: 07-September-2022 at 1:45PM
Hello all,

My name is Sheri. I bought a 73 Gran Torino about a year ago and it has been sitting untouched since. (Can't get my mechanic to work on it) This is the second Torino I've owned, the first was back in the late 90's. I've never been happy that I sold that car back then, but I was young and dumb, and thats all there is to say about that.

You can just imagine my joy when I stumbled across this recent one, I just had to buy it! I heard it run when I purchased, the transmission wasn't shifting into 3rd. Definitely not road worthy. When it was loaded, gas leaked from at the gas tank and then at the engine. I imagine i need to check the tank for rust, and then replace the gas line. 

I think my biggest question I have is this. "Is there a checklist to follow when re-conditioning a car?" I'm struggling with where to start.

Its time to get serious about this project, I just want to drive my car!  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 2:41PM
Welcome aboard!  I upgraded you to a full member, so you have full forum privileges.  Post some pics of your Torino when you get a chance.

As for a restoration check list, we don't really have one here on the forum.  I'd suggest that you try and find a trusted mechanic who is familiar with working on old cars.  A lot of the young mechanics know nothing about these old cars.  Feel free to start new threads to ask questions about your car and its problems.  We will all do our best to help you out.

With the transmission not shifting into third, it would probably be good to have a transmission shop look at that.  The gas leaking at the tank and engine might be from the lines, or a rusty fuel tank or a leaking carburetor.  Any mechanic should be able to fix these problems relatively easily, but sometimes there are shops that specialize in fuel tank repairs.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 3:02PM
Welcome Sheri, it's good to hear your story and I'm happy you found another car to enjoy.

Old cars like any car that is not driven much, will have issues because of that lack of use. Basic tune up items should be on a to do list, and basically anything you don't have a good record of or trusted condition of parts. The brakes should be a major priority, as well as the fuel system, fluids, and electrical items. Go at it slowly and be patient, it might take a long time to get it safe enough to be road worthy.

We are glad to help, ask anything you can think of.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 3:33PM
Welcome Sheri.

I also have a 1973 Ford Gran Torino:

I had similar issues with the transmission and the fuel tank.  I had a transmission shop here in PA rebuild the transmission and the gas tank I had restored and a new fuel sending unit.

And most importantly, find a trusted mechanic if you won’t do the work yourself.

There is a lot of info on the forum.

Thanks,
Chris

Edited by spriegel - 09-September-2022 at 10:39AM
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2022 at 3:08AM
Welcome, look forward to pictures.
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2022 at 5:03AM
Welcome! Thumbs Up
GKF
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2022 at 5:07PM
As mentioned above, tuneup, fluids, transmission, and brakes. Just sit in the car and look around, you will be able to create list pretty quickly. Look at some of the project threads to give you some of the best tips and explanations of any repair you can think of. Welcome.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2022 at 4:50AM
Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of great information here. An honest mechanic that is familiar with what you've got is a good place to start. Most good shops will have contact with other shops that do specialized work when needed. Post pictures as you go and ask questions. 
Steve M.
Shesheeley77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shesheeley77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2022 at 3:00PM
Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm having trouble finding that willing mechanic to take it on. Honestly, its been sitting at my mechanics shop for the past year and i've offerred to put a deposit down to get started and it just sits. 

I'm having it towed home and start on my own. My plans are this:
gas tank; gas line; engine; transmission - I know that there are different components to each of these catagories. I just hope my husband can handle this!

Peripherals I can handle on my own for the most part. 

I'm just excited to have it home. Will get some pics up soon, expect tons of questions :)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2022 at 3:36PM
Try to enjoy working on it. These older cars are a lot easier to deal with, other than acquiring parts and any rust issues.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2022 at 5:18PM
  welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2022 at 3:51AM
I had no experience at all and didn't learn when I was young. But with the forum, YouTube, and some patience I built an engine and am part way through a total restoration. If you enjoy it, you'll certainly be able to learn how.
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2022 at 5:03AM
Welcome. Thumbs Up
What engine?
GKF
geo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2024 at 5:51AM
Thanks for the introduction.
George Voutes
geo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2024 at 5:55AM
please allow uploading of images. thanks. 
George Voutes
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2024 at 12:03AM
Originally posted by geo geo wrote:

please allow uploading of images. thanks. 

Welcome George. You have been upgraded and have the ability to post photos now. Tell us about yourself and/or your car.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
geo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2024 at 8:18AM
George Voutes
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2024 at 3:25PM
Wow, nice Torino George!  Tell us about the car.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
geo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2024 at 3:14AM
1970 Ford Torino 
429 CJ 370hp, 450lbs torque
Shaker Ram Air Scoop
Top-loader 4 speed trans, Hurst shifter
Trac-Lok Diff
Bucket seats and center console
Rear window sport slats
Magnum 500 rims
Twist lock hood pins

Fully restored, show quality
Matching numbers all around
Highly original vehicle
George Voutes
Wixbullitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wixbullitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2024 at 8:16AM
Very nice car!
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2024 at 3:45AM
Welcome. 
Very nice car 
Steve M.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2024 at 4:07PM
Smokin' hot.
 Post Reply Post Reply