The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel and 11" clutch kits for 72-74 CJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel and 11" clutch kits for 72-74 CJ
    Posted: 21-September-2022 at 3:54PM
So after reading on questions on flywheels, and looking for a flywheel for Bruiser, a few things come to mind.

First:
Rockauto is not listing the correct clutch flywheel kits anymore for the 72-74 four speed cars. 
Data shows a 10.5" wheich is not correct. 
AMS used to supply 11" kits and they are no longer listed on Rockauto.

I don't ever recall the torinos using anything but an 11" clutch kit.
Now all the sudden the listings have updated for the correct 11" kits?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1972,gran+torino,5.8l+351cid+v8,1129003,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993
Note, this is for the 351 Cleveland Q code which I am searching. For all I know they are referencing the H code 351C 2v or 351W 2V.

I posted this on another recent post specifically looking into flywheels matching my original data off my casting:
My original Ford flywheel that I am still using has this cast and stamped on it:

Cast# C5AE 6380-E
Stamped# C7TE-A  

I looked on pioneer and had to look under 1970 Mustang 351 (Doesn't say C or W) and got back:

PART NUMBER : FW-193

Original Equipment (OE) Part Interchange

OEM: C5AZ-6375K

Rockauto generally has been a solid catalog reference, however they only list for a 10" clutch. Assuming this is for 6 cylinders or is an error on their part.

LUK LFW451 Info
28.2 OZ. Imbalance Flywheel -157 Tooth; For 10" Clutch

Now, with that said, would something basic like say 1988 Ford Bronco 5.8 / 351W flywheel also be an OK choice?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1988,bronco,5.8l+351cid+v8,1105928,transmission-manual,flywheel,5348
I use that for a reference as I am using a 1988 Bronco 5 speed starter in place of the original Ford Starter that came off my Q code.

I'm just looking at for practical purposes this flywheel:
AMS AUTOMOTIVE 167735

At what point do you consider the need to go to SFI/Billet Steel for flywheels, is something I have wondered on a street car application?
I've bangshifted the heck out of the GTS over the years, and I have also had the factory FoMoCo flywheel magnufluxed every time I service the transmission or clutch kit out of safety.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Yellosn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yellosn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2022 at 4:11PM
This is the clutch I put on mine last year. Nothing fancy, but it seemed to be a decent quality. Works well so far.

Weird about the flywheel listings??🧐

Troy Emerson
Eugene, Oregon
1972 GTS 4speed
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2022 at 4:49PM
If you're going to hammer it may as well go with a blow proof bell housing.
I haven't done any high rpm shifting yet but I went with a diaphragm clutch. It grabs nice. If it manages to pin the pedal to the floor I may need a block behind the pedal.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2024 at 7:35AM
It's been a while and I agree. I should run a blow proof, but I am still running my factory Toploader bell house. 

If I was actually racing I would not even think twice. 

One issue I have with aftermarket stuff is the runout issues, especially if you have the misfortune of using china made products that have flooded the aftermarket. 
I've seen far too many guys having problems. 

When you switch to a TKX 5 speed, the TKX does not tolerate issues with runout like the older Top loaders and TKO transmissions that used a tapered bearing. 

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply