The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non adjustable valves/rockers.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non adjustable valves/rockers.
    Posted: 23-September-2022 at 7:37PM
Hi forum. The 351c is a non-adjustable design. Does this mean, that you ‘just’ install stock lifters/pushrods and torque rockers to spec….?….done?
No lashing/pre-load etc….?
My engine is totally stock. I want to keep it this way.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2022 at 8:14AM
rocker arm retaining bolt tq is 22 lb-ft IIRC

you can shim the base of the pedestals to reduce and/or equalize lifter plunger preload. +/- length pushrods can also be used, again IIRC Ford issued +/- .060" pushrods. removing some material from the bottom of the pedestal can also be used to effectively increase lifter plunger preload if + length pushrods are not readily available
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2022 at 1:15PM
By design, the hydraulic lifters take up the slack and eliminate lash to keep the valvetrain quite, to an extent. Shimming and removing material is a good suggestion. Hydraulic valvetrains are kind of a set it and forget it type of deal. You shouldn't have to play the shim game very often if ever again.

On my big block I actually run the factory rockers on heads that were designed with pedestals for adjustable rockers. I made a bunch of slightly oversized spacers and filed each one to achieve the "lash" speced. 
-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2022 at 3:34AM
Let me know if you want the instructions from the Ford service manual.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply