The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member: 77 Thunderbird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member: 77 Thunderbird
    Posted: 06-October-2022 at 4:54AM
I bought a 77 Thunderbird about a month ago, and already this forum has been a huge source of information for me. Thanks everybody!

Love to post a picture, but don't seem to have an option to upload.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2022 at 5:12AM
Welcome aboard. You will be able to post pictures when the administrator confirms the membership, usually in a day or so.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2022 at 11:20PM
Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Thunderbird owner join. I upgraded your membership so you have full forum privileges and can upload photos. So post some pics when you have a chance.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2022 at 12:12AM
Welcome to the forum. 
Steve M.
derth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2022 at 3:07PM
All right, here we go. Previous owner had a plan with the paint scheme, as you'll see. Not sure I would have done it, but it's grown on me. Intending to finish that job in the spring. For now, overhauling brakes, swapping shocks, looking for the vacuum leak in the headlights, window-shopping for some baller wheels, and generally just making the list. Oh, and doing something about the crumbling gauge cluster housing - probably a set of aftermarket gauges and some sheet metal unless I can find a decent replacement housing.

spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2022 at 4:06PM
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking car!

-Chris 
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2022 at 4:36AM
Nice T-Bird
Steve M.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2022 at 8:57PM
 welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
derth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 3:28AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Quick question, I've read through all the threads I could find here about the gauge clusters. Does anyone know of a source for the white plastic housings? I've got the regular ol' 3 gauge plus clock, and my whole housing has gone to dust, leaving me with pretty much just a speedometer. I'm kind of guessing I'll end up rebuilding the whole business out of acrylic or just scrapping it in favor of a custom setup, but if there was a decent replacement for that white housing out there, that would be pretty sweet.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 5:16AM
Consider changing over to the '77 and up rally pack/cluster with all the gauges. Its an easy upgrade and those clusters are out there. 
Steve M.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2022 at 12:40AM
Welcome, nice 'bird.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
derth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2022 at 1:22AM
I had seen the rally pack clusters on ebay. It looks like a pretty pricey proposition, but I can't say I wouldn't prefer the gauges over the idiot lights. Does anyone know, do the rally cluster housings stand up to time better? I'd hate to pop that much cash on something and then be back in the same boat a few years later.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2022 at 12:37PM
The white plastic housing? No, its no more durable than the standard gauges.  It's a bit of a crapshoot buying used.  A cluster from a car that lived in a garage is going to be in better shape than one that lived outside in the desert.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2022 at 5:44AM
Hello and Welcome!
Headlight vacuum leak is usually in the (irreplaceable) headlight switch...
Years ago a guy on another forum (The old Thunderbird Registry forum, migrated to LoveFords.org and then...Paul from Gearworks???) was making/trying to make electrical actuators for these. He was drag-racing an orange big block car.
Don't know if he ever finished or got to market.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
derth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2022 at 7:06AM
I was thinking about this too. Linear actuators are tempting, but then you need limit switches etc. Seems like a vacuum valve activated by 12v would be a better choice - retain all the stock vacuum actuators but bypass the whole hose loop running through the firewall and switch.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2022 at 1:42PM
At any rate, there's about 20 feet of hoses and the vacuum cans as well as the switch. Inspect them all and use a small hand pump to pull a vacuum on the canisters and switch individually. 
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
wonderlander774 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wonderlander774 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2022 at 8:43AM
Welcome
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2022 at 6:55AM
Don't know if your still looking, but:

http://dicksterssmartpants.com/store/vacuum-to-electric-headlight-conversion-kits/ford/1977-79-ford-thunderbird-vacuum-to-electric-headlight-conversion-kit.html

Hope this helps!Big smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
derth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2022 at 9:22AM
That kit looks fantastic! May be a little rich for my blood, though. Maybe I can poach ideas off of it, at least.
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 7:26AM
I'm not all that familiar with vacuum operated headlight doors - whether vacuum to open or close.
I have worked extensively with design and build of atmospheric (altitude) test chambers for avionics testing.
These are a couple of inexpensive 12V electric vacuum control valves. Seems they could possibly work to turn ON/OFF vacuum for your purpose.  However, the design needs a designed-in bleeder orifice, or an additional control solenoid to bleed off vacuum down-stream of the main control valve, when vacuum is no longer needed.

Found cheapest on Amazon.

Edited by Greg73Oregon - 29-December-2022 at 10:54AM
GKF
 Post Reply Post Reply