The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 C6 to Tremec TKX swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluesrockerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 C6 to Tremec TKX swap
    Posted: 24-January-2023 at 1:22AM
Hello all, just getting ready to swap in a TKX. If anyone has done this, I would welcome any info or insights. I am going to be sure to dial indicate the bell housing and get the drive shaft angle noted before dis-assembly. Thanks!
ritchie
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2023 at 1:19PM
Welcome!  Read this project thread here:

He installs a TKX and provides a lot of detail on the install.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
DJsTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJsTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2023 at 11:28PM
Welcome to the forum! Thats my build thread that was shared. Any questions get a hold of me and I'll be happy to share my experience.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2023 at 10:41AM
Overall, Swapping isn't horrible. I have not used the TKX, however I am lucky as I started with a factory Q code 4 speed toploader car.
A few items...on Ebay, there is a sell reproducing all the factory 4 speed mechanical linkage.

Mechanical linkage can cause issues for header fitment. I went the route of "massaging" header tubes, and also getting one of the primary pipes cut, and a new piece of pipe the same diameter bent for clearance of the Z bar.

Modern Driveline also has been working on a nice heavy duty clutch cable, using 71-73 mustangs as a base with slight modifications but allowing for a bolt in affair.

MDL also has worked on doing a hydraulic clutch conversion but the fabwork done was with a fellow GTS org member John, BackinBlack. 

I have also seen guys use a universal Slave cylinder kit with our clutch pedals from American Powertrain.
Other examples are guys using Foxbody clutch pedals, Wilwood clutch pedals, etc. 

Of specific note...Tremec requires all dealers and end users to document checking runout of the bellhouse to make sure it's properly aligned. You can void the warranty if this process is not documented and performed during the installation.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply