The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas tank rust causing lean.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas tank rust causing lean.
    Posted: 14-February-2023 at 8:35AM
 I have had my 72 GTS started a couple times now….it seems to run lean….pops through carb.
I have an inline (glass😵😵) filter before the fuel pump. It is filtering a LOT of debris/rust from the tank. Clogs up by the looks of it.
Fuel does get to the carb…..accelerator pump pumps fine…..although it leaks terribly through the top at higher (about 2000) rpm. Its as if the carb cant ‘pass’ the fuel forward fast enough…..
Mixture screws are dialled out 2 turns……too much?
Carb is newly cleaned an’all. Ideas welcome.

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 10:01AM
Lose the glass filter. That is a fire waiting to happen. Get some plastic filters and replace as needed. Wasn't your fuel tank restored inside? If the fuel line is original can you disconnect it and blow it out with a compressor? 
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 11:54AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Lose the glass filter. That is a fire waiting to happen. Get some plastic filters and replace as needed. Wasn't your fuel tank restored inside? If the fuel line is original can you disconnect it and blow it out with a compressor? 

Good thought ....did that with an old Edsel & quite a bit of gunk came out!

Al
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 7:19PM
Gas tank is not restored. I did shine a light down the filler-neck, and it didnt look to bad….I guess you cant see everything! I did blow out all fuel lines. Lines are free-flowing. I am waiting for new plastic filters to arrive.
I will try to snap a photo of the current (glass) filter.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 7:21PM
 if the fuel cant get through as needed it will go into the carb but as youre using fuel if it cant fill fast enough it will be low on the bowl essentially be lean as if the float was set low... same theory here...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 7:26PM
How about the fuel coming out the top of the accelerator pump? (At higher rpm)
Picture from net..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 7:28PM
It seems there is no lack of fuel going into carb. I slighty unscrewed the inlet and fuel came ‘gushing’ out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 7:33PM
 does it leak out when you move the accelerator pump or even when idling? float may be too high and overfilling the bowl???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 8:09PM
At idle there is no leak coming from the top of accelerator pump.
When I move the accelerator pump there is no leak…until about 2000 rpm…then it starts.
I have not touched or adjusted the float. Only directly swapped the air horn from the spare carb(due stripped inlet threads on the original)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 9:22PM
Car was idling at around 700rpm….that is to low for 72cj. I will adjust to 1000rpm at idle….
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2023 at 2:55AM
That accelerator pump has a diaphragm in there made of rubber, which sound like is leaking. I would work on that and the float level, adjust it carefully and check the fuel pressure too.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
whmitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2023 at 3:52AM
If you haven't set the float level or done a carb rebuild, you probably should look at doing that. Old rubber parts need to be replaced and all the carb passages should be cleaned. To rule out the gas tank, just run it off a gas can right to the pump. It sounds like your tank needs to be refurbished or replaced, regardless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2023 at 6:13AM
Carb is rebuilt an’all.
Idle is acting up now….up down up down…flame out…I think I better get to the tank!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2023 at 8:00AM
New (f48a) gas tank has no filler neck……..how do you use the old neck? Can it be pulled right out of the tank? Install with a seal?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2023 at 4:03AM
I just took a look at the filler neck today. It has a rubber grommet.
The tank may have been changed earlier….

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2023 at 8:38PM
Picture from the 72 manual…..filler neck looks grommeted….

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2023 at 9:50PM
 pretty sure they are all grommet-ted? the newer ford part #  is posted on here somewhere??? iirc i got one for an 83 E150 van as they all used this same grommet for a lot of years... 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2023 at 4:19AM
What was the factory 351cj jet size in the 4300D carburetor of 1972?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2023 at 4:31PM
750 cfm but that depends upon the depression factor they used during testing. pretty much all different the OEM manufacturers used a different depression factor and 4 bbls are different than 2 bbls. aftermarket uses a standard 28inches of water IIRC so you can't compare different carbs directly

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2023 at 5:02PM
I mean the fuel main jets….what size were they in 72 4300D/4sp carburetor?
 Post Reply Post Reply