The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 GTS Cleveland Fuel Sender Unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 GTS Cleveland Fuel Sender Unit
    Posted: 02-March-2023 at 10:45PM
Looking for advice on the best fuel sender unit for this application..... have been searching through the forum, but can't form a definite answer.

Is the most likely one the same as for a 73 Mustang??
Al
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2023 at 7:54AM
Looks like 72-73 Torino, Ranchero & Montego type would suit..............
Al
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2023 at 8:57AM
Dennis Carpenter has one that is specific to a '72-73 Torino at a reasonable price.  I bought one and it works well, although I'd say the fuel gauge is not as accurate as the OEM unit was (before it went bad).  Here are some pics that compare the original to the new one.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2023 at 9:05AM
Vince, did you have to tweak the float at all to get the proper reading or is it pretty close the way it came?  The new one I ordered is probably about 1/3-1/2 a tank off, haven't played with it yet but if the Dennis Carpenter one is pretty close I might consider it instead.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2023 at 9:12AM
No I just installed it as is and mine is off probably by a 1/3 of tank too.  It reads correctly at full, but when it's at half a tank, it's actually burned a lot less than 1/2 a tank (ie I have more than 1/2 a tank of fuel).  Same when it reads 1/4 tank.  I haven't bothered to play with it.  My gauge was re-calibrated so I am pretty confident it's the new sender.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2023 at 9:46AM
Appreciate the insights fella's ! Thumbs Up
Al
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2023 at 1:46AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Dennis Carpenter has one that is specific to a '72-73 Torino at a reasonable price.  I bought one and it works well, although I'd say the fuel gauge is not as accurate as the OEM unit was (before it went bad).  Here are some pics that compare the original to the new one.

I should correct myself.  I don't know why I wrote that it was 1/3 off on the reading.  This sender is not nearly that far out.  I'd estimate that when my gauge reads 1/2 tank, it's acually more like 5/8s or so.  And at a 1/4 tank it's probably a bit over 3/8s.  So it's maybe 1/8 or a little more of a tank off.  Not the 1/3-1/2 that Dave has on his sender.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2023 at 2:47AM
Thanks Vince! 
Al
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2023 at 11:20AM
So you got a free upgrade. Now when it reads E you can drive another 35 miles before fumes. 
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2023 at 12:57PM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

So you got a free upgrade. Now when it reads E you can drive another 35 miles before fumes. 

HAHA!  yeah beats running out at half like mine.
Al
Neal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2023 at 1:12AM
Dimmit, out of stock. 

perhaps this is a good alternative

Edited by Neal - 13-August-2023 at 1:18AM
--Neal
1972 Gran Torino Sport
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2023 at 3:43PM
Vince, that top one does not look long enough for a 72-73 tank? 

I sent a new sending unit off to RobbMC for modification to use 1/2" lines. Their sending unit, in my situation, I bought a reproduction unit to get the float portion, and then had them do their work. 

I am beyond out of date updating my blog on my car...but I am going to be working on the fuel system soon enough. Updating to 1/2" stainless fuel lines for some future planning.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2023 at 9:10PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Vince, that top one does not look long enough for a 72-73 tank? 

I sent a new sending unit off to RobbMC for modification to use 1/2" lines. Their sending unit, in my situation, I bought a reproduction unit to get the float portion, and then had them do their work. 

I am beyond out of date updating my blog on my car...but I am going to be working on the fuel system soon enough. Updating to 1/2" stainless fuel lines for some future planning.

That top one is a bit shorter than the factory one, but it was the closest I could find.  The difference isn't as big as it looks in the photo.  I use it in my car and it works fine.  If someone has a better stock type replacement, please share.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply