The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico wiper removal 1970 Ford/Mercury.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trico wiper removal 1970 Ford/Mercury.
    Posted: 07-March-2023 at 9:33AM
Qq…I need to replace the wiper blades on my 70 Cyclone.
Do you just pry them of the small tab on the wiper arm with a screwdriver? I have tried, but I was afraid to break something…🐥👍
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2023 at 10:25AM
To just replace the wiper blade, you don't have to remove the arm.
Depending on blade type, you will remove the whole blade by detaching at the end of the wiper arm where it attaches to the blade assembly (center). or disconnect the retainer (one end of the blade assembly) and then slide out the rubber/metal blade.
If you choose to remove the whole arm, note the arm direction & location - so when you re-install, it's facing the correct direction.  Pry the tab (as you were doing) and pull off in a manner/direction that the arm socket is pulled out straight. Because of the spring tension, it wants to pull the arm at an angle to the splined shaft.
It's OK to squirt some WD-40 or other penetrating oil.
GKF
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2023 at 7:10PM
I just want to detach the blade. Apparently, you have to push in a spring on the side of the blade center portion and the blade will come off the pin. 
My car has this type👇

Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2023 at 9:01AM
That works. Usually there is an instruction sheet & diagram enclosed in the package.
Depending on your existing blade type, you perhaps can just get a refill. Such as this type:

Edited by Greg73Oregon - 10-March-2023 at 9:34AM
GKF
JRANGER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2023 at 3:51AM
i just wish i could find a 71 Driver side wiper arm 
71 Torino GT 351C 2v Auto
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2023 at 9:02PM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

I just want to detach the blade. Apparently, you have to push in a spring on the side of the blade center portion and the blade will come off the pin. 
My car has this type👇

push down on the coiled spring and they should slide off the arm stud... sometimes it takes a few attempts...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply