The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TMeyer Track Boss Bypass Plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TMeyer Track Boss Bypass Plate
    Posted: 26-March-2023 at 3:33PM
I bought a replacement bypass/restrictor plate for my 351C from TMeyer. My machinist didn't install it (they don't run the dyno with a thermostat), so I went to take a stab at it tonight. I am not able to get it to install flush like the OEM plate. Should it? Or is it ok if it sits a little above the lip?

The design is a little different between the two, so I got some measurements. The OEM measured 0.005" smaller in diameter and 0.055" thinner than the Track Boss. The Track Boss has the conical edge so it looks like it is meant to seal with enough pressed force. It definitely requires some leverage to get it back out, and its obvious the block is cutting into the edge when installed. 

I just thought I'd see if anyone has installed these before. I also bought a TMeyer thermostat so I figured these were designed to go together. But from what I gather I should be able to throw my OEM back in if this is an issue.

Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2023 at 10:59AM
I am not sure on that one Dan.  Maybe Rock will know.  Or reach out to Tim.  He's usually pretty good at getting back to people if they are customers.  If you contact him, just tell him you are a customer in your message, as I know he gets tons of calls for free advice.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2023 at 11:02AM
That's a good idea, I will try to reach out to Tim (with my order number just in case). Thank you.
Dan

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2023 at 11:56AM
comments i've seen, yes Tim's restrictor sits higher in the block than the original. if i understood one customer's comment he suggested that the TrackBoss restrictor is so thick that it prevents some / if not all T-stats from opening completely. IDK? IMO there's nothing like the real thing, Baby

FlowKooler is marketing a 351C T-stat restrictor that has a smaller diameter orifice to be used with the incorrect generic Windsor and chevy style 'Robertshaw 330 series' T-stat. the correct T-stat for a 351C engine is the Robertshaw 333 series which has the special hat / sleeve on the underside to effect the shut-off of coolant flow through the restrictor orifice. the FlowKooler's smaller diameter orifice doesn't need the hat / sleeve and shuts the bypass with just the sensor bulb of the T-stat.

to further complicate matters there's this air bleed hole plate that's advertised as allowing the removal of the T-stat

and i remember a guy that posted to the Pantera International page that made and sold his own plates on ebay, neonfiddler IIRC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185424040123?hash=item2b2c2250bb:g:hNAAAOSwjaldNgeQ

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-March-2023 at 12:04PM
72 GT Ute

dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 5:40AM
Thanks for sharing those Rock, it's good to have options. My biggest worry is that it would restrict flow to the radiator by not opening completely, like you mentioned. His design is to make sure the bottom is completely flush so that it doesn't recirculate in the block, but maybe that difference is negligible.

Tim got back to me pretty quickly last night and again this morning. To paraphrase his responses: 
In theory, the plate ends up about flush on top. It's possible it is bottoming out. If anything, clean up the area with a wire brush on a die grinder. If you feel confident that it is then pressed in place, but it still sticks up above a little, you should be fine.
I didn't think it was bottoming out based on my initial depth measurements of the plate seat, and so I re-measured it to be sure. While the depth is not flat throughout, the lowest spot I could measure was 0.174" closer to the middle (average was 0.2"). However that low spot should still give 20 thou of clearance if the plate were completely seated. It's possible there are two areas that are bottoming out where my gauge can't measure. (Yes I know it's ugly, I let the block sit too long after the dyno). I'll clean it up a bit as he recommended and go from there.

Dan

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 3:21PM
Glad Tim was able to help you out. Keep us posted.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 4:33PM
Yes, thanks for the discussion and the options for it. I would tend to want the altered bypass plate along with the Robertshaw model 330 that it's made for. I prefer a 180* most of the time, and the model 333 may be harder to get at some times, in the rating you want.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2023 at 4:12AM
When I changed the thermostat as preventative maintenance on my 351C with unknown history, I bought two 180-degree thermostats and a bypass plate. The second thermostat is in case TMeyer isn't still in business next time I need a thermostat, and the bypass plate was in case the original one was gone. The original one was still there, so I just left it. I can say the TMeyer thermostat works great with the original plate. No overheating issues with the Champion radiator so far now that I got the distributor timing under control. 
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2023 at 12:39PM
Thanks for sharing, another good data point. And good call on keeping extra stock around!

Well I was able to clean up the seat a bit and finally get the plate in albeit with more force than I wanted. Used a big socket and you can tell. But it's in there and it's not coming out. Sits just below the threshold too.

Dan

Post Reply Post Reply