The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Section > Cars for Sale/Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 T-top Thunderbird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOTORCITYBADBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 T-top Thunderbird
    Posted: 01-April-2023 at 10:23AM
I wanted a T-top Thunderbird for a long time. I ended up buying 2 at the same time, and so letting this one go. My friend and I did some work on it to make it a good driver. It's a pretty solid car-needs some fairly easy restoration work.. Yes it's listed on Ebay and Craigslist for $12,900. Will let it go for $10,500.

Rare 1978 Thunderbird with T-top. 351-Windsor. Performance instrument package. The tach and gauges work, but the clock is inop. Original factory color- keyed “Turbine” wheels. Original AM/FM 8-Track stereo. Some of the speakers are inop and we didn't try the tape player.

Runs and drives nice. Has a brand new Virginia state safety inspection sticker. Have original owner's manual, and warranty card. There may be a factory build sheet under the carpet or back seat. I believe you can also get a “Marti Report” from www.martiauto.com

This car is just beautiful. Many of the late 1970's cars were not very attractive. The 1977-79 Thunderbirds however had great appeal, and were the best selling Tbirds of all time- Ford sold over a million of them.. In 78-79 Ford sent out some Tbirds to have the T-top installed. Of course, many are gone now, and the ones that remain are fast becoming among the most desirable.

The car appears to have been undercoated originally, and we can only find one minor rust spot on the lower body just behind the driver's door, and one small spot on the bottom of the radiator support where it was likely not undercoated. There are 3 or 4 small dings in the body that could easily be taken out by a skilled “paint-less dent repair” guy. The paint overall has a good shine to it and cleans up nice. There's a few spots that have some nicks and scratches, and a couple small rust spots on the bumpers that could be cleaned up and maybe use some chrome paint to touch them up.

We put in a new trunk liner and spare tire cover because the original was in terrible condition. The t-top storage bags were missing. We had a brand new set made at a local upholstery shop that are nearly identical to originals. We also cleaned the t-top tie down straps and reinstalled back in the trunk. The spare tire doesn't look original, but it looks in good condition. The original jack and lug wrench are there too.

The odometer reads about 17,450 mi. We assume it's 117,450 since it's only a 5-digit odometer.

The motor runs very good, and trans shifts good. We put a new accelerator pump in the carb, and a new gasket. Put in a new battery hold down kit also. The tail pipe and muffler are new. If you're too young to remember driving a carbureted car, it needs a few minutes to warm up in cold weather. Starts right up with 1 or 2 pumps of the gas pedal to set the choke. The cruise control is inop, but looks like it's all there.

The heat works. A/C has been converted to R134, and the compressor works, but seems like it needs a charge. Hard to tell since it was pretty cold out.The driver side mirror housing is a bit loose. The mirror works but I think it needs to be taken off the car to get it tightened up..

The rear brakes have been fully rebuilt- including all new hardware, and a new master cylinder installed. The parking brake cable was locked up and we replaced the forward cable and lubricated the moving parts. It works perfectly now. We also installed brand new 225/70R15 B.F. Goodrich Radial T/As that ride great, and the look really makes the whole car pop!

There's a tear in the driver's seat, and a couple cracks in the dash pad. There's a crack at the top of the steering wheel. The interior could use some more work, but we have many more projects to work on so we're letting this one go.

The wheel center caps are not in great shape. Several of the plastic retaining tabs are broken. New ones can be found here...

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars/wheel-and-hub/hub-caps/d7sz-1130-d-wheel-center-or-hub-cap-plasti

Overall, the car is a good, driver quality, collectable classic- in great shape for a 45 year old car. Would be a very unique ride for your local car show, cruise in, or just a weekend cruise with the tops off! This one would be easy to continue restoring and would be well worth it.

Most of the details are in the pictures. We will be happy to answer any questions.

TEST DRIVE VIDEO>>> https://rumble.com/v2ay5l2-1978-thunderbird-t-top-test-drive.html

Car is sold strictly AS-IS, Where-Is. NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE of any kind.
PM me with your name and number for any questions.

Tom
A soft heart for orphaned cars...
6 Mustangs- 69-2014
3 Ford trucks 69-96-03
2 Tbirds- 79-95
1 Lincoln Mark IV- 1972
1 Full size Cadillac- 1985
1 Harley VROD-2005
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2023 at 11:52AM
Looks like a nice clean T-Bird!  Hope it finds a good home, maybe even with a forum member.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
MOTORCITYBADBOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOTORCITYBADBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2023 at 1:23PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Looks like a nice clean T-Bird!  Hope it finds a good home, maybe even with a forum member.

Thanks.
I'm offering it a good value price so there's plenty of meat on the bone for someone to love her and do some more restoration to make her perfect. The great thing about living in 2023 is that just about anything you want to fix or restore, there's lots of videos on Youtube..

I hate to sound old, but there wasn't any Youtube when I started working on my first car in 1976- a 67 Cougar GT that I got for $25!!
Tom
6 Mustangs- 69-2014
3 Ford trucks 69-96-03
2 Tbirds- 79-95
1 Lincoln Mark IV- 1972
1 Harley VROD-2005
MOTORCITYBADBOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOTORCITYBADBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2023 at 2:29PM
Car has been sold!
Tom
6 Mustangs- 69-2014
3 Ford trucks 69-96-03
2 Tbirds- 79-95
1 Lincoln Mark IV- 1972
1 Harley VROD-2005
 Post Reply Post Reply