The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hump for floor shifter placement.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchovieMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hump for floor shifter placement.
    Posted: 01-May-2023 at 3:00PM
I’m at the point where I’m ready to mount the floor hump for the floor shifter. My question is if the placement is the same between 4 speed manual cars and auto floor shift cars. I have a 4 speed I’ll swap in eventually, and I have a parts car with a factory auto floor shifter and I was hoping to use that as my example. Just wanted to make sure they were the same. Any help is appreciated.
Jayden
rtgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2023 at 8:30AM
Years ago when I was trying to order carpet for my 4 speed car I had issues with the hump not being correct for a 4 speed. One of the companies had me take detailed photos of the original carpet and 4 speed hump and send it to them. They determined that the carpet molds that they had for a floor shift automatic 72 torino would not work in a 4 speed car. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in, but based on my experience it seems that the Auto and 4 speed humps could be in slightly different spots, or a totally different size.
72 Gran Torino Sport Q 4spd in Light Pewter Metallic

2012 Mustang GT (Brembo) 5.0, 6MT, 3.55s

1995 Bronco - 5.0 5spd.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2023 at 9:51AM
if i'm thinking right the auto / floor shift could come either with the hump & console or with the shifter mounted directly to the tunnel, not sure what that looks like under the carpet? AFAIK there's only one hump and it only fits in one location, it pretty much self dictates where it goes. this is my auto > 4spd conversion, what i did was find the best fit position and traced around the outside then factored for the flange allowance and cut the tunnel. the butchered oval holes were from a previous floor shifter. again, i don't know what the bracketry / supports look like for a floor shifter with no hump but i have seen pics of a couple cars with a floor shifter right on the tunnel 

72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2023 at 10:12AM
I also thought they are the same, but I have only dealt with my two floor shift cars. I bought the hump and console bracket from another car, and installed those into my first 73 Ranchero so I could swap the interior with my 72 Gran Torino(stock floor shift 351-2V and C4).

That picture looks right, I just used my existing 72 to measure the right distance from the cross brace. That's all there was to it, then the console mounting holes line up with the bracket on the tunnel, and the shifter is right too.

Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply