The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove front springs 1970 Cyclone.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove front springs 1970 Cyclone.
    Posted: 04-May-2023 at 6:14AM
Hi forum…..Sooooo…..what do you guys do? Can it be done without springs comps? You know……car on jacks…..loosen shock…lower the arm assembly slowly……can this work?

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2023 at 7:00AM
The manual shows a jack and fingers crossed. Scares the crap out of me thinking about what the stored energy can do.
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2023 at 7:31AM
Get a piece of medium duty chain and a grade 8 bolt and chain the spring to the lower control arm
, it can only go so far then . It’s not something to be afraid of , just respect the process and move deliberately!
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2023 at 8:26PM
What springs do you all use? I am interested in OE springs, not performance stuff. Just normal good quality…
My car is non-ac./429/4spd.
Moog 8088? Moog 8090?…..Mevotech?…lesjofors?(expensive)

Edited by Anderslober - 05-May-2023 at 8:03PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2023 at 9:55AM
what engine, might make a difference?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1970,cyclone
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2023 at 1:18AM
Most instructions say to use a spring compressor and it is the safest way.  Spring compressors aren't expensive and are a good tool to have - you can use it on your '72 Torino too.   Google search spring removal and install on 1st Gen Mustangs and you can see several methods.  Your suspension is pretty close to a 1st Gen Mustang setup.

As for springs, I am not sure where you got those part numbers, but the Moog springs are really light duty, more like early Falcon six cylinder springs.  Looking at the Ford parts Catalog for 1970 Torinos with a 429, you want a spring that is stiffer.  The catalog lists the spring specs, but not the spring rates.  They'd have to be calculated, but a good indicator of how stiff a springs is, is the wire diameter.  Generally, when comparing replacement springs for a car, the ticker the wire diameter, the stiffer the spring.

So for the examples you picked, 8090 only has a wire diameter of 0.60" and 8088 only has a wire diameter of 0.59".  The Ford Parts catalog springs of a 1970 Torino 429 has wire diamters of 0.66" or 0.704", so they would be considerably stiffer.  IF your current springs are too rusted, you should be able to get a reasonable accurate measurement of the wire diameter. 

Moog springs are good, just getting hard to find.  I don't believe you have the correct listing for a 1970 Cyclone 429.  The other brands are find too.  Eaton Spring will be able to match the OEM specs, but are a more costly option.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2023 at 4:26AM
Thanks for info. Yes, the Moogs were to soft for my application. Tomorrow I will be removing the springs and arms on the 70 Cyclone(429). I found 3 bushings that were beyond ‘bushed’. So, I am changing all the front suspension. The springs had me baffled for a bit….I think mine are 0.67inch….will measure to be sure.
All rear suspension is new and good.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2023 at 2:13PM
Have you seen this thread:

He just rebuilt his Torino and got some new springs.  It might be worthwhile to check out his thread for info since it's the same basic car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply