The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello. Looking for info on my dad's 72

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello. Looking for info on my dad's 72
    Posted: 10-May-2023 at 2:57PM
Hello everyone. I'm Chris from RI and I'm here in hopes to get some info on a 72 Sport my dad had. I was hoping to locate something similar to what he had before he passed but I was not able to. I'm new to the GT world so I'm not that caught up on them. I have some pics my dad took the day he got it and what little info he gave me. Hoping to get enough info on what he had so I can locate a similar car. 
Thank you guys for having me. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2023 at 3:14PM
Welcome Chris, I hope you find a 72 GTS that will make you happy like your dad's car did for him. Find the gallery section or threads that have lots of pictures in them. You can get a good idea of what colors and features were popular, and what you might like.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2023 at 4:16PM
It's not close to you but there is currently one in the cars for sale/wanted section by a member here.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2023 at 12:15PM
Welcome Chris! I upgraded you to a new member so you have full forum privileges.  Post some pics of your dad's car and we will help you identify what he had.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2023 at 12:21PM
Welcome to the forum!
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Lunchbox755 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2023 at 7:07PM
Here are some pics my dad took after he got the car on 72. He told me it was a 72 GT Sport with a black interior and only option was AC. 
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2023 at 7:11AM
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2023 at 8:44AM
It's a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport "Sportsroof" or fastback. It is painted in 2B red.  I can see it has a black interior, but can't tell if it's a bench seat car or a bucket seat car. It has a few options on top of the A/C that I can see; vinyl roof, magnum 500 wheels, laser stripe, bumper guards.  It also looks like it has a rear sway bar.  If that is factory original it means it either has the competition suspension or the Rallye Equipment group option package.  It would also mean that your dads car was either equipped with a 351-4V engine (Q-code) or the 429-4V (N-Code) engine. 

1972 GTS's aren't super common, and red is a desirable colour.  So don't expect to get one cheap, if you want one in nice shape. Keep an eye on the classified section on this forum as we often post other Torinos we find for sale from CL, eBay, Hemmings, etc.  Feel free to post a want ad here too, can't hurt with your search. 

Otherwise, keep searching and hopefully one will pop up for sale.  It will take some patience though, it's not like buying an old Mustang.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2023 at 11:29AM
Those rear bumper guards were very uncommon, and the hood pins are curious. The one front picture doesn't clearly show the grille emblem, and the GTS emblem was also rare if that's what it was.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2023 at 3:21PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Those rear bumper guards were very uncommon, and the hood pins are curious. The one front picture doesn't clearly show the grille emblem, and the GTS emblem was also rare if that's what it was.

It’s shows it clear enough to see what it is……it’s the red wreath emblem that was on the Gran Torino and Gran Torino sport grille for 1972. We already know the car is a Gran Torino sport…….but the ‘Gran Torino Sport” grille emblem (assuming you are referring to the red/white/blue one) didn’t come out until the the 1974 GTS.  In 1973, the grille emblem was the same as the ‘72 grille emblem. It was ‘74 when they came out with the  gts r/w/b gear emblem that looked like the trunk flipper on the ‘73.

See the pic below…….
72/73 on the left…….’72 flippers, and ‘72-‘73 grille emblems
73 GTS on the right……’73Trunk flippers
‘74 GTS grille emblems on the right…….the smaller grille emblems are ‘74 GTS, along with the ‘74 GTS gas filler door emblems

Bottom right are a couple sets of the Sport sail panel emblems

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2023 at 3:23PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

It's a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport "Sportsroof" or fastback. It is painted in 2B red.  I can see it has a black interior, but can't tell if it's a bench seat car or a bucket seat car.
Looks like bucket seats judging by the shape of the driver seat in the pic from the back left direction…….

Dfox
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2023 at 2:26AM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

It’s shows it clear enough to see what it is……it’s the red wreath emblem that was on the Gran Torino and Gran Torino sport grille for 1972. We already know the car is a Gran Torino sport…….but the ‘Gran Torino Sport” grille emblem (assuming you are referring to the red/white/blue one) didn’t come out until the the 1974 GTS.  In 1973, the grille emblem was the same as the ‘72 grille emblem. It was ‘74 when they came out with the  gts r/w/b gear emblem that looked like the trunk flipper on the ‘73.

Dfox

Thanks Dave, you know those details very well. I didn't know the GTS emblem didn't begin until 1974. I hunted those for a while two years ago to build the one Ranchero GT emblem I want. When did that one begin, 74 also?

I hope nobody minds, but my project is just for me, so it'll have the Sport front end, a modified Ranchero Sport emblem, and the Sport fender script. Thus my user name, and the personalized license plate I have from 1988. I should take a picture of that and make it an avatar pic.
Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2023 at 2:59AM
What I am doing with my ‘73 Sport is:

The grille emblem will be the ‘74 r/w/b gear-type emblem so it matches the trunk emblem.  I personally think it looks funny when they are mismatched.

The 74 ranchero had the same gear but the red/white/blue had no lettering

The ‘73 ranchero had the same housing but the emblem was black/ red with silver lettering.

‘74 Gran Torino Sport grille emblem

1974 Ranchero grille emblem

1973 Ranchero GT grille emblem

Hope that gives you some direction.

Dfox
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2023 at 3:02AM
I have several sets of the “Sport” fender scripts if you need those...

Dfox
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2023 at 5:32AM
You have all of the great pictures, I should have touched base with you way back then. I discovered most of the differences, and chose the later Ranchero GT emblem, plus a good GTS emblem. I have them but planned to work on them later.

I'll cut out the Sport lettering of the one and place it in the center of the Ranchero emblem, likely also with the white background. I've had the script pieces since the mid 80's, and one extra Sport front end(yellow with the wide side moldings, and script).

Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2023 at 5:51AM
Send me a pic of the ones you have and are planning alter.  I might have ones that are better to alter may have crazing or bad spots that arent in your way... maybe trade with you — let’s see.

Send me a private msg, and I’ll send one to you 

Dfox
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2023 at 5:42PM
Sorry I was wrapped up with life and work.
Thank you all for the information.
My father did say it had a 351C not sure what the trans was. 
I have seen several 72 GTS for sale but it seems like most have chrome side molding and not the fade sticker. Was this something that wasn't optioned as much?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 12:14AM
There were several different options
1. Side colored decals ( “Gran Torino Sport” printed in the decal)
2. Wide lower full-length moulding with wheel arches as part of them
3. Full-arch wheel well moulding
4. Thin-line body moulding straight down the side

I have seen all kinds of combinations,  and some guys have gone as far as putting the color decal, the body stripe AND the wide moulding together. (which looks like overkill to me)…….you’d have to be able to do a Marti report somehow to know exactly what it really had.  MAYBE they could track it down IF he was the original owner, and you can give all kinds of info…….long shot, yes.

351c probably had the c6 trans.

Long story short, since you have the pics, you can ALWAYS get an ‘72 GTS sportsroof, and repaint/restripe/re-trim to make it as close a clone as your wallet/heart allows.

Repops of the stripe are available, and there’s plenty of us here that have the wide moulding parts…..I have several sets myself, and will only use one of them (probably keep a second set as a spare just in case I ever need it.)

Edited by hogfiddles - 03-June-2023 at 8:49AM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 12:33AM
Welcome and best of luck. 
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 5:31AM
My dad was NOT the original owner he was the second owner. He bought it in 72 so I'm not sure what the story was there. I know this was a car he really wanted and even one of my uncles remembers this car. I've tried to see if I got search the VIN based in the plate number. I have a few clients who are police but nothing yet. I'm more curious the story of this exact car then I am trying to find this exact car. My wallet is thin right now so I'm looking for something that far from perfect I just wanted to stay close to what he had. 

Edited by Lunchbox755 - 06-June-2023 at 5:24AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 11:56AM
If you have the VIN, post it here so we can find out more about the car.  We can decode it for you.  You can also get a Marti report which will tell you all the original specs about your car.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 1:02PM

If you have the VIN, post it here so we can find out more about the car.  We can decode it for you.  You can also get a Marti report which will tell you all the original specs about your car.

If he has the VIN, he won’t have any trouble get a Marti report.....
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 1:27PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

If he has the VIN, he won’t have any trouble get a Marti report.....

I know, that's why I said, we can decode and he can also get a Marti report (if he wants to pay for one)!  Smile
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2023 at 6:40PM
I do not have the Vin. All I have is pics and the little information my dad gave me before he passed. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2023 at 1:53AM
Originally posted by Lunchbox755 Lunchbox755 wrote:

I do not have the Vin. All I have is pics and the little information my dad gave me before he passed. 

If you are just after very close to what that car was, we can help a ton to point you to the likely features it had, and what other things you might like. All of those old Fords are scarce, but selecting the main features you want is the main step.
Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2023 at 2:09AM
Lunch— first thing to do is get a car to start with.  Once you have one, then like he said, we can help you create your “clone”. That’s about as close as you can get :).

It’ll be your dads car, just with a different set of wheels, and maybe a different bumper, oh yeah—-maybe a different transmission.......but everything can be changed.

Basically it’d be like my grandfather’s axe....it’s the one he used all his life.  Now I have it... replaced the handle three times and the head two times—- but it’s his old axe.

Do you have ANY part from his car? Even the tiniest thing...... then you can legitimately say it’s his car—you just had to replace almost every part, that’s all.   If you don’t, you have the pics.... and you Re-built HIS car.... it just meant replacing literally every single piece.  See—- you CAN justify EVERYTHING, somehow....

See? We offer all KINDS of help here..... how to fix a car, how to justify a purchase, how to word things so your significant other does make you sleep with the dog, and we even give moral support and understanding if you DO have to sleep with the dog—-

Dfox

Edited by hogfiddles - 04-June-2023 at 2:16AM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2023 at 7:15AM
I thought by your comment above that you had the VIN, but I think we have enough details.

There has been some great advice so far.  If you aren't concerned with finding the exact car, then it wouldn't be too hard to replicate your dads old car. From the info we have, it we know it was a 1972 Gran Torino Sport fastback, with a 351, likely a 351-4V (Cobra Jet) since the rear suspension has a sway bar which was not available with the 351-2V engine.  It was painted 2B bright red with a black vinyl top and a black interior.  Hogfiddles thinks it is probably bucket seats.  An automatic transmission will be way easier to find, 4-speed cars are very rare and expensive.

What you need to find is an affordable 1972 Gran Torino Sport fastback, preferably with the best body you can find. These cars were horrendous rusters, and many panels are not readily available. Then build it to the known specs above. Even if you find a 351C-2V car or some other engine, you can convert it to a 351-4V or swap one in place if you aren't concerned with numbers matching.

As for the laser stripe, it was not a very common option.  Since reproducing the laser stripe, there seems to be more Torinos with laser stripes now.  Most 1972 Torinos had the lower body chrome moldings.  The lower moldings and door rub strips were not available on laser stripe cars.  If you buy a car with moldings, you can remove them and install a a repro laser stripe.  However, you will have to do some body work to remove the mounting points for the moldings and laser stripe cars using different wheel lip moldings that are super rare and hard to find.  Some cars, like the Torino in Clint Eastwood's movie, just run with no wheel lip moldings, which is not factory correct, but definitely the easier option. The movie car (below) was converted from a molding car to a laser stripe car.

You also might want to be careful about buying a car with a vinyl top.  They are much more prone to rusting, to the point where the roof sheet metal needs to be replaced.  You could add a vinyl top to a car that doesn't have one, but you'd need to find the moldings (not easy). 

Here is an example of the rust under a vinyl top.  This car's roof was beyond repair and the roof skin was replaced.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2023 at 2:17PM
All great advice and observations.

Here’s another thought, too....... if you just GOTTA have the black “vinyl top”, consider the idea that someone else did..... mask it off and the spray a heavy textured paint on instead.  When it dries, it’ll look virtually identical from a few feet away, and with the vinyl trim re-installed, 3/4 or more of people who see it won’t even realize anyway.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2023 at 5:08AM
Good luck with your search. Also, keep in mind the rabbit hole of the 72 gts sportsroof is bottomless. It does have rest areas on the way down so you can know when to say when.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox755 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2023 at 5:28AM
Thank you everyone for all the help and info!
I'm not against getting something close then making it closer to my dad's car. I unfortunately don't have anything  from his car other than pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply