The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 GTS Fastback Resto-Mod - Dash Reinstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPapaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 GTS Fastback Resto-Mod - Dash Reinstall
    Posted: 15-May-2023 at 1:58PM

I am 4 years into a Complete resto-mod of a 1973 GTS Fastback. I took it all the way down to the nuts and bolts with pics as I went. Unfortunately something happened during the eventual saves from my iPhone to my computer and I lost half of the Pics from the removal of the dash. I took it out completely in order to get to bare metal to send it off to the painter. Painting is all done. Chassis is back in place and Motor 351c is completely rebuilt. I need to get the Dash back in so I can get the dimensions under the dash for a "Vintage Air" AC Unit but the major mounting pictures are what I don't have. I was hoping that someone has a pic or video of the dash from Top (without the dash Pad) and From Bottom so I can find all of the hard anchor points. And if you did take the whole thing out, if you have any step by step docs to help me manage putting it back in place.

If I can't get that I would appreciate someone getting back to me with the "under the Glovebox" clearance dimensions, (length, width, and depth) so I can determine which generation "Vintage Air System" will work best with my car. I know that the Gen 2 will fit because it is slightly smaller than the heater core unit that I took out but I want the Gen 5 because I know that it is a much better, powerful version. I live in AZ so the AC is imperative. 

P.S. If there is anyone who has done the whole "Dash Reinstall" thing, I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2023 at 5:09PM
Haven’t got the pictures you want but do have both the Vintage Air Gen 2 and Gen 4 Magnum mock-up units and have had them test fitted…both fit…gen 4 is quite tight but works…looking at dimension drawings 4 and 5 are pretty much the same size…custom brackets would be needed for either install…obtaining a workshop manual would be my advice…they’re pretty useful for stuff like this…

Mock-up units are pretty cheap too and make positioning/brackets etc a lot easier due to its lightness…
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2023 at 11:05AM
There are probably several project threads that cover some of what you are looking for, but I just don't know which off the top of my head.  Maybe reach out to California Johnny, he archived his Torino and Mikes Torino builds pretty well, so he might have what you are looking for.

Your car looks great!  You should start a project thread so we can follow along the remainder of your build.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2023 at 2:01PM
Hopefully these help a bit.....these are on a ‘74 Ranchero in tearing down.dash pad and dash extension are out so maybe these show you most of what you need.

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2023 at 11:45PM
  there's a nut on each side at the top and a bolt in each lower side and a bolt on rod in the center from the cowl to the bottom center of the dash to the right of the radio...

here's some pics from my thread feel free to look through itWink
https://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024_page6.html
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2023 at 1:20PM
Are you missing the hardware and brackets? 
or looking for general instructions?

The 72 Torino-Montego interior assembly manual does not document the dash itself.

Main item, need to make sure you have the studs/bolts for bolting the shell to the cowl/firewall. 

It's also advisable to make sure the column is installed. 
No steering wheel installed. 
Easier to have the dash with the dash wiring harness pre-installed. Routing is kind of a pain otherwise. 

If you are missing the two studs for the top locations, let me know. I should have a few left. 
Bottom two bolts are I think 7/16-14? 

Other key items is making sure the center support is also installed to keep the dash from sagging and cracking. 
Not sure on clearance around the Vintage Air in dash housing however. 
Other items would be re-installing the top metal dash support brackets.  

if you powder coated the dash internal bracing, you need to consider making sure all ground paths are cleaned to bare steel to avoid issues.

Goes without saying...spend some time really combing over your dash harness. check for any questionable wires. especially the main power feed wires. 

I pulled a ranchero apart recently and the dash harness was melted really bad. Amazed the car hadn't burned.

Other things come to mind, if automatic, make sure the harness is all plugged in otherwise you may be able to crank but not start thanks to how the ignition circuit has a wire that loops on the floor for the automatic floor shifter/four speed cars. 

I'll see if I can find anything in my '72 manual set for the dash.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2023 at 1:22PM
Not sure if this helps, but to the right side the upper support brackets:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2023 at 1:40PM
Ford Manual 1972, section 34-01-03 & -04

Installation
1. Install the instrument panel to 
the dash so that the dash upper left and right studs enter their respective upper left and right stud holes in the instrument panel flanges.Install the retaining nuts on the studs, but do not tighten.

2. On Torino and Montego, position the center brace so that hole in the brace fits over the stud at the center of the cowl. Install the brace retaining nut on the stud, but do not tighten.

3. Install the lower left and right instrument panel-to-side cowl screws but do not tighten them.

4. On Torino and Montego, attach the instrument panel-to-cowl right brace to the top of the instrument panel with one screw. Do not tighten the screw.

5. Adjust the instrument panel assembly so that the center air distribution duct in the panel seats firmly over the rectangular opening in the plenum chamber of the heater or A/C assembly.

6. After adjusting the instrument panel properly in place, tighten the screws and stud nuts as follows; instrument panel lower left and right retaining screws to 12-20 ft-lbs; instrument panel upper left and right retaining nuts to 7-11 ft-lbs; panel to cowl center brace nut at the cowl to 7-11ft-Ibs; and panel to cowl right brace screw at the top of the instrument panel to 8-18 in-lbs. Tighten the brace screws snug on Thunderbird and Continental Mark IV.

7. Secure the radio speaker to the cowl with two screws (Torino and Montego only).

8. Engage the right courtesy light jamb switch in the right A pillar (Torino and Montego only).

.9. Connect the harness plug to the blower motor resistor, and connect the power and ambient sensor leads at the motor.

10. Connect the vacuum hose(with yellow stripe) to the panel-defrost door vacuum motor located in the center air distribution duct.

11. Connect the vacuum harness connector plugs and the temperature control cable to the heater or heater- A/C control head. (Does not apply if equipped with ATC).

U. Push the fuse-C.B. panel and connector assembly into the cut-outs in the dash panel until the four connector- to-dash tabs lock it in place(part 34-30, Fig. 10).

13, From the engine side of. the dash panel, connect the plugs from two other wiring harnesses to the retainer- connector assembly. Install the plug retaining screws and torque to 18-28 in-lbs (Part 3+30, Fig. 10).

14. Thunderbird and Continental Mark IV, push the branch of the harness that goes into the engine compartment through the grommet in the dash panel. In the engine compartment, connect the two harness plugs to windshield wiper motor, the plug to the brake indicator light switch, and the plug to the electric spark control if so equipped.

15. Connect the harness multiple plug to the dimmer switch.

16. Engage the left courtesy -light (jamb) switch to the left A pillar.

17. Connect the lead to the parking brake indicator light switch, if so equipped.

18. At the floor pan below the brake pedal, connect the two multiple and three single connector plugs to the harness.Then install the shield over the harness and secure it to the floor pan (3 clips and 3 screws).

19. Install the parking brake release handle to the lower edge of the instrument panel (2 screws).

20. At the steering column, connect the four harness plugs (2 to the ignition switch, 1 to the back-up switch wiring, and one to the tum signal switch

wiring).
21. Install the left and right cowl 
sidekick pads.

22. Install the instrument cluster in the instrument panel (part 33-50).

23. Install the instrument panel pad (part 45-71).

24. Install the gear shift lever, the turn signal lever (part32-40), and the steering wheel (Part 13-03).

25. Install the steering column trim cover, and connect the battery ground cable. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2023 at 1:55PM
I was searching for dash exploded views in the HVAC section, and nothing usable. 
I was searching images I have, not coming up with much that's usable.
 Post Reply Post Reply