The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 speed research

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 speed research
    Posted: 27-July-2009 at 6:51PM
Since getting the entire clutch linkage out of the '72 Torino, I'm thinking about converting my '79 Ranchero to this 4 speed. I'm installing a 429 into the Ranchero, and therefore my question.
The Torino was small block, and aside from the bellhousing, would I be able to get a big block Z bar to fit the Ranchero and this clutch linkage?
I see the holes in the frame for the outboard support of the Z bar, but I would need the bellhousing support and the Z bar itself. On the small block, the Z bar was supported by a braket attached to the bellhousing. Does anyone know if I would be able to find these? Has anyone done a big block 4 speed conversion?
If this even reasonable?
I also have two sets of buckets, consoles and the trans tunnel humps. So the only question is fitting the Z bar and linkage, I should be able to handle the rest.
Thanks, Andy
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2009 at 4:32PM
you can buy a repro bellhousing pivot and Z bar from Perogie for a big block 71 torino, but you will have some modifications to make to adapt to the 72+ chassis.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

rtgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2009 at 2:52AM
I have researched this swap as well. I have a 4spd 72 Torino, but I wanted to put in a 514-520cid engine. I found that the best way to go would be a hydraulic setup from McLeod.

You also have to think about the headers. Hooker makes a 351-4v Super Comp header that fits a 72 4spd car. No one makes one for a 429 4sp car, because they were never made from the factory. If you go the Hydraulic route you can run headers for an Automatic Transmission 429 car and save money.
72 Gran Torino Sport Q 4spd in Light Pewter Metallic

2012 Mustang GT (Brembo) 5.0, 6MT, 3.55s

1995 Bronco - 5.0 5spd.

haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2009 at 2:30PM
Thanks for the great info, and link. I'm not sure where to mount the master cylinder, but hoping that Modern Driveline will come up with something. Also, I think the Hooker headers for my '74 Montego would fit, with a hydraulic system. My Montego is big block.
Thanks again....Andy
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2009 at 6:03AM
You can get reproduction 4 speed parts from NPD's mustang catalog...saw a couple different ford 4 speed trans parts in I think the Year One mustang cataog as well.

I still have been wanting to get my hands on a 70-71 Chevelle Z bar setup. They look an awful like ours...clutch rod and all. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply