The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch pedal fix/mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch pedal fix/mod
    Posted: 28-August-2009 at 6:51PM
Although the car I'm doing this on is a '79 Ranchero, I thought a lot of folks here with 4 speeds might want to see this kit.
I'm converting this truck to a 4 speed, and the pedals are donated from the '72 Torino sport. Most all Ford clutch pedal hangars have a pot metal bushing/spacer on each side of the steering column support, these bushings usually crack and fall apart leaving just the shaft to wear against the column support resulting in an elongated hole. Sometimes this slop gets so bad, you cannot push the Z bar far enough to disengage the clutch.
I found this kit at Stevesmustang.com, out of texas, when I converted my Mach 1 from auto to a 5 speed. The donor support was thrashed as described, and this kit was a perfect fix. I figured if it could replace the pot metal bushings, then it could be installed on a '79 support to hang the 4 speed clutch and brake pedals. And again, it did a perfect job. I seen a couple other repair kits, but none I seen can match this kit from Steve's.
In the pics you can see the kit, and new soft bushings, then welding of the sealed roller bearings, a little media blast, paint, install everything with grease and this '79 Ranchero is half way to a 4 speed. And the pedals look factory. I recommend this kit for anyone who needs to freshen up there pedal hangars, or want to modify an automatic column support to hold 4 speed pedals.
let me know what you think....
Andy
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2009 at 11:37PM
Beautiful job. Looks like a real problem solver.
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2009 at 1:04AM
That does look really nice, and I would bet that the pedals work muchsmoother than factory.  Nice job!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 11:23AM
Nice write up, thanks for the knowledge. Maybe we could come up with some type of tech forum for this type of info? Just a thought.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2009 at 3:16PM
nice.   I am going to do that also. how much was the kit?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 5:06PM
The kit is $40.00, and the website is http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html
 Post Reply Post Reply