The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Crossmember Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Crossmember Question
    Posted: 24-October-2009 at 4:35AM
I had to modify my Crossmember to allow for my exhaust pipes to go straight back from the collectors to the axle. The material I cut out made the support weaker so I had 2 thick metal plates made so they could be bolted up to the support after the exhaust pipes were mounted. My Crossmember is probably stronger now but I added a lot of weight and I was thinking maybe someone makes a strong but lighter Crossmember that fits our Torino's. What are you guys doing in this case seeing that a lot of you are running headers?       

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 24-October-2009 at 4:42AM
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2009 at 5:08AM
I didn't realize that Tran Dapt has a Universal Trans Crossmember that might work. I'm going to find out how much it weighs. 

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 24-October-2009 at 5:09AM
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2009 at 11:28AM
i have headers and 3" exhaust and my pipes fit in the stock xmember pretty well, but i have a windsor.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2009 at 3:40PM
Hooker headers on a my 472 BB are tucked in tight to the floor boards and there is limited space on both side of my C6 transmission. The headers on a Windsor must sit lower to clear the crossmember. Does your exhaust pipes bang on the crossmember when the engine torques?

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 26-October-2009 at 3:02AM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2009 at 3:55PM
Did all Torinos have a double hump cross member?
Or are we talking about you had to modify a single hump cross member to accomodate the dual exhaust?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 11:32AM
As far as I know, all have the double hump.
I would say a basic chomemoly tube with a couple flat plates welded on the ends and the center?

I don't know about you, but I am tired of destroying trans mounts.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 4:21PM
I thought what I cut out was a double hump crossmember. It looks like this one in Paul's car except mine is longer on each end and it's bolted to the underside of the frame. 

I had to cut out most of the metal above the pipes to make room for my 3.5" dual exhaust and all the strength in the crossmember is there. The heavy metal plates I bolted up underneath the pipes added a whole bunch of unwanted weight. 

Andrew, you've modified crossmembers for the same reason?  

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 26-October-2009 at 4:38PM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 4:41AM
No, but I considered it when I did my exhaust.
I had a hell of a time putting in my 2.5" flowmaster universal kit.
I had brain freeze with what to do the the parking brake cables until I basically built a bridge with a couple pulleys to move the cable down and allowed the exhaust to run straight back without issue.
I tucked my system a bit up in the tunnel for ground clearance because how low the GTS sits in front.
I should just do the e brake cable setup like the Cougars and the wagon above has instead of the huge cable loop, but for now, what I did actually works really well. 

*Edit-
One thing I am seriously considering is getting a late model e brake assembly from a mustang.
Something about being able to handbrake a 180 spin, dump the clutch and leave ina  hail of shreading tires and wail of the 351c.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 27-October-2009 at 4:43AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 2:45AM
I'm in the middle of building a kitchen right now but as soon as I can I'm going to swap out my crossmember for a universal one. I bought the Energy Suspension Poly Trans Mount and I made it work with my C6 and the stock crossmember but I'm not happy with the fit, so I'm looking forward to doing the whole thing over again with the right stuff and maybe save a few pounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply