The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor adjustment
    Posted: 30-October-2009 at 4:49AM
Hello all,

I recently acquired a '77 Cougar XR7 (I'll post pics and information later) that is in very good condition (light jade green, dark jade top and interior). It has a 302 that runs well but idles too high when warm, and too low when cold; it stalls every time it is started until it has a chance to warm up.

I have never adjusted a carb before, but I am of the impression that there is a cold idle screw on the carb in addition to a regular idle adjustment. Can anyone share some pictures of where this is on the carb, and any info regarding what I have to watch for when adjusting it? Should it be adjusted with the car running or before, and does it matter whether the choke is set or not?

Thanks for any help!
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2009 at 7:36AM
can't help you with where exactly screws are but sounds like a good soaking of carb cleaner around the choke linkage is a good place to start.
High Idle when hot could mean the hihg idle cam on the choke linkage is still engaging.

How long has it sat?
Taking it to some one who knows how to do a carb rebuild is a good start as well.
Carb rebuild kits are cheap! and IF you do not know what you are looking for... you could be looking at the problem and pass right by without even knowing.
Bad air mixture screws, seals, grooves, stuck pieces, bad choke, pull off.
Vacuum leaks can do the same thing with the idle too!

Where do you live, if close to someone from on here they may be able to recommend a good shop or they know what to do.

Good luck and WELCOME to the board!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2009 at 11:37PM
Thanks for the guidance!

Good thought about the high idle cam still engaging; carb cleaner was going to be my first step, so at least I was on the right track :)

How long it has been sitting is a good question. I remember seeing it a few years ago at cruise nights, but its fate after that is unknown until I found it on a hole-in-the-wall car lot. I normally don't deal with those kinds of places, but all of the basics worked and it was just too cool to not get :).

Since winter is coming, I'll probably wait until Spring before I take it to a shop. My dad's long-time mechanic is a huge Ford buff and has had many '77-'79 cars over the years, so he'll be a good place to start.

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm glad to finally have a car that lets me be on this forum! I actually joined 2 years ago so I could look through the classifieds for a car :)
 Post Reply Post Reply