The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TREMEC 5-Speed BB Torino's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2016 at 7:17PM
Would a t56 fit in the trans tunnel...Aren't they pretty wide?
Which bell housing would work?  

Never really considered a t56...seemed like more work to fit it than it was worth.  I dont want to cut up the floor to make it fit.

Was thinking of one of these UPGRADED—SYNCHRONIZED tremecs
http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc2.htm

Edited by BackInBlack - 07-March-2016 at 7:29PM
-John
1973 GTS
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 3:22AM
FYI...
Options for hydraulic clutch setup

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-8521620-ford-hydramax-hydraulic-clutch-actuator-system-for-tko-t45-3650-ford-t5-ford-t56-ford-magnum.html

http://www.fortesparts.com/clutches-bellhousings-flywheels

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics/hydraulic-conversion-kit/1964-1966-mustang-hydraulic-clutch-linkage-conversion-kit.html

https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics.html

http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/ford-hydraulics.htm
-John
1973 GTS
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 4:53AM
To make my hydraulic clutch conversion I'm going with a hydro boost brake system for firewall clearance. Got the whole brake system with every single piece off a 78 Lincoln Town car from a junk yard shipped to my door for $200. This set up will also allow for a more radical cam because the brake system won't use vacuum anymore. Better brakes, better clutch, and better cam choices,= win win win!
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 5:14AM
Cool...Good info! 78 lincoln town car
Have you installed ityet?
Do you have some pics to share?

Any recommendations for good salvage yards ?

There are multiple version of this booster on 1978 Lincolns Versailles, Contenential, Mark V, etc.  Any idea what the differences are??
From rockauto parts:
D7DZ2005A, D8DZ2005B  Versaillies
#D7LY2005A     Mark V
#D5VZ2005A, D7VZ2005A   Contenental

Edited by BackInBlack - 08-March-2016 at 7:20AM
-John
1973 GTS
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 12:41PM
Not installed yet. Found it on carparts.com
You can search junk yards all over for parts. Just happened to find a complete car at a junk yard in Kansas City.
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 1:42PM
I've got the original pedals for the manual 73 gts.   Before I get started on teh conversion from my auto to 5 speed; any info an whether the pedals will swap or require mods to the support brace?

Any special parts that would be useful to get before starting?   Is it worth using that plastic bushing or is there a bearing alternative that someone has tried with success?

Found this for mustangs
http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html

-John
1973 GTS
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2016 at 4:18PM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

To make my hydraulic clutch conversion I'm going with a hydro boost brake system for firewall clearance. Got the whole brake system with every single piece off a 78 Lincoln Town car from a junk yard shipped to my door for $200. This set up will also allow for a more radical cam because the brake system won't use vacuum anymore. Better brakes, better clutch, and better cam choices,= win win win!

Keep in mind that I have successfully done this. If I can help, just let me know.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2016 at 4:19PM
Go here for details.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/my-story-73-72-gts_topic9376.html
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2016 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Keep in mind that I have successfully done this. If I can help, just let me know.

Awesome! Thanks. I know I will have questions with the rod from pedal to clutch/hydroboost.
Jim

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2016 at 12:34PM
Not to be off topic completely but I have issues with the fluid in my power steering box sloshing under hard braking and cornering and that would worry me with relying on the hydraulics of that system in it's current state. All that's needed is the pump pickup to be exposed to a little air and things get sketchy. I'm going to start looking into a remote reservoir pump when I have the time. With that plus the hydro-boost brakes I think the setup would be very successful. Before I parted out the 79 lincoln mark I had, I took it out for good beating and the brake feel was super nice. Discs all around and hydro boost. Everything form that car would be a direct swap onto a torino. Didn't beat on it hard enough to smoke the pads or boil the fluid but I know I could have with ease.

I have a hydraulic clutch plus vacuum booster. Neither system is totally up to my level of perfection yet but both systems work really well. Nothing on the car is stock or conventional so some fine tuning is to be expected.
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2016 at 11:12AM
Do you have a Tremec TKO in now?
If so, did you use the toploader version?
Did you use the original drive shaft?

T56 is certainly nicer tranny, but it looks like it may not fit in teh tunnel.  Damn, that thing is big.

I see your point with the clutches...was pricing out the swap.  I was surprised to see 10.5 clutch kits from RAM for $400 (performance version).   

Cant decide whether to go with a quicktime bellhousing or the standard aluminum version.

bell housing $600 + clutch kit $400 + hydraulic clutch $300  + flywheel $300 + tranny $3k = damn i hope my wife doesn't see this thread  Confused

Edited by BackInBlack - 15-March-2016 at 11:47AM
-John
1973 GTS
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2016 at 3:27PM
My manual transmission setup was super expensive when all said and done. It was also worth it. I have some complaints here and there and I think the stock TKO is a lousy box really only fit for show cars and cruisers. I have yet to talk to someone running a stock TKO600 that even knows what it means to flat shift. I can always upgrade the syncros and even go with dog teeth if I really wanted. I think that would probably do the trick. I have the platform figured out now and that's whats important. I can drive as is or get super insane from here and there are no more missing links. It all fits. it all works.

About half way down on page 13 I have a parts list. Next page or two is plenty of pics and info on the clutch pedal setup.

Edited by Billy C - 15-March-2016 at 3:28PM
-Billy Conturo
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 9:44AM
Hey, it's been a while on this thread but wanted to drag it back up.

Looking between the T56 and the TKO and yes, hearing gripes about the THO600 not shifting and seems to be about a $500 adder to fix the shifting headaches.

Wish there was someone close buy I could test drive to get a feel of a tko600...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 1:20PM
Driven one and they are stiff and notchy. Not a dealbreaker, but not as smooth as a T5. Best description I could come up with was a "Gated TopLoader with bone-dry linkages having a really bad day".
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 2:58PM
I'm pretty picky I guess. I ask a lot of my car and all it's components. More than the average person. If all you want is an overdrive gear then I think the TKO is a nice step up from the toploader. The clutch selection is probably a weaker link than the transmission if you are really using that much of the setup. I'm stuck with a clutch combo that chatters and is not super drive-able because when you are shifting hard and dumping the clutch it better be grabbing or else the big block will rip it to shreds. Big block cubes are no joke. Compare it to any other 8 liter engines and those all have insane exotic multi-plate clutch setups that cost over a grand to just buy the factory replacement parts. The T56 is really the better transmission but when all said and done the difference in price goes beyond just the price of the box. The setup is tricky to get dialed in. On a big block ford, the T56 is pretty uncharted territory.

Are you trying to go fast? If so then the TKO is probably not the best choice. I shift once going to 60mph and can't seem to clock lower than 5.5 sec 0-60 without a launch. The new mustang GT should do 0-60 in 4.5. According to the logs it takes me 1.5 seconds just to shift. That's .7gs of pull to the top of 1st, flat line for almost 1.5 seconds and back to .7gs all the way to 60. If I didn't have to fight the box I could stomp all over a mustang GT to 60 and be long gone by 100. I also have the most ideal gearing and engine for the TKO. Buckets of low end engine torque with a wide power band to a low rev limit and tall rear gears just tall enough to keep the tires from smoking up in first. Anything else and it would be a losing battle for sure.

Anyone who is ever in Pittsburgh is always welcome to contact me and check out my setup. I'm not just letting anyone behind the wheel of a priceless 500+hp R-comped death machine but hangout long enough and I could probably be convinced if you sound like you know your sh**.
-Billy Conturo
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 1:46PM
Hey Billy, how high do you spin your engine when you shift? I usually spin to 7k or a bit above, just trying to make sure the tko will shift that high.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 2:24PM
rev limit is at 5500 on my big block. With the hydraulic flat tappet I'm a little afraid to push it further. I nip the soft rev limiter and shift. It never stops pulling, except between gears. That's enough for me. I doubt it would ever shift at 7 in stock form.
-Billy Conturo
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 5:48PM
Billy- Nice read BTW about some of your fun. Let's put it this way right now with a wide ratio top loader, 2.75 gears and a 28" tire my shift points are all screwed up but it's fun holding first to around 30-35MPH occasionally.
I'm looking to tighten things up. At the point where I am at, I've debated the TKO600 with upgrades to a T56 with upgrades, a hydraulic conversion kit, then toss in a new bell housing and the clutch kit. 

I read somewhere along the the lines the stock 72-74 Torino clutch pedal doesn't really have the proper throw and geometry for what is considered "ideal". I know driving my GTS as compared to my mom's 2000 GT mustang, it felt worlds apart shifting a T45 with a 4.6 and 3.31 gearing. Car was a ball with the hurst shifter it had.

I just priced out a T56, and it was around $5400 for the conversion package. Of that for me is new flywheel, new bell house, and related.
I've considered swapping to late model mustang pedals to be honest but ugh the clutch quadrant and cable just leaves me unsure. Mainly due to not researching it.
Part of it too is for me the simplicity of the manual linkage but I'd really like to modernize things {Plus hopefully reduce the headache pertaining to Zbar clerancing.

John-
CGRob did a T56 install in one of his cars. I need to talk with him as he said the T56 fits fine with no surgery on the tunnel. I can't confirm it but I'm wanting to get some things put together.

My hang up has been because I drive long distances I want the double overdrive. Run a little deeper gear but nothing too insane. I was thinking honestly 3.50 with TKO600 but 4.11 with the T56.
I also need to change up my induction to something a bit bigger carb wise...but more on that later.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 1:05AM
I've done a lot of measuring for the t56 in our car.   Everything look like it would fit easy in our trans tunnel.  The only questionable part I found was the height of the tailshaft part of the transmission.   It looks like it would be tall and come close.   What would also drive the clearance is setting the correct angle of the t56.  

He mentioned he was working on swapping for a t56 but haven't heard any news regarding the project.

I picked up a Tremec 3550.   A friend basically gave it to me.  So I'm on the TKO path now.   I'll be swapping it in soon.  Got all the parts except the clutch and flywheel.
-John
1973 GTS
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 2:14PM
I saw a few 3550, they are supposed to hold a bit better, I read 350-375 lbs. That better than a T5 but not by much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2016 at 4:19PM
Yup...they are rated conservatively. I'm banking that street tires will be more forgiving and my motor is stock now so no worries. A buddy just gave to me...so why not run it till it breaks. Then get the tko600 later. IT'S basically first Gen tko500 tranny. It came out of a mustang cobra r.   It gets me into a 5 speed sooner.
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123