The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Console Shifter Parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim-R500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Console Shifter Parts
    Posted: 28-June-2004 at 7:04AM

I am trying to put a console shifter in a 72 ranchero and I need the hump [ ...fits on top of tranny tunnel] for the shifter, the bezel, and the rod from shifter to tranny.   Are all of the Ford product humps the same?  I have the housing, shifter handle, lever incl dog leg, and pigtail wire for indicator light.  Ebay has had several humps and bezels but none of the sellers could give any assurance their item would fit my 72.  Help!

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2004 at 8:54PM

There are some irregularities in the 72 Torinos which make all parts not 100% compatible with 73-76 Torinos and 77-79 LTD II's, however I think that the console will work.

It **should** fit, but the biggest thing you need to worry about is the transmission lever on the transmission itself. It is reversed from a column shift connection to a floor shift connection. The floor shift is a rod, the column shift is a cable. For example, I obtained an entire center console/shifter assembly, but the shift lever (that goes physically into the transmission side) was for a C4 or FMX (don't remember), but I have a C6, and I believe them to be different, and am not sure where to obtain one. I'm not prepared at this point to install that into the car anyway, so it is not a priority, but you should be mindful of that.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply