The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Fuel Ratio and tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Fuel Ratio and tuning
    Posted: 27-May-2010 at 6:06AM
So I own an Innovate Motorsports LM-2 that has the wideband O2 sensor in it. It is very nice - gives instant readouts of your actual A/F ratio.

While that is nice and all, the real problem is what A/F Ratio do I really want?

Knowing 14.7 is stoiciometric, I also know that running at that level will cause stumbling, etc.

Car Craft in their article cite an AF Ratio of around 13.0-13.5, and I quote:

"At light throttle opening speeds of 35 to 40 mph up to freeway cruise in Overdrive, the carburetor delivered consistent air-fuel ratios of between 13.0:1 and 13.5:1 which was close to ideal."

However, Ford Muscle had a chart in this article that showed many different values in their article (and I quote):

From this chart, I would want to perhaps be up more toward 14.2 for cruise, perhaps a bit more (this is for my pickup with a 360, not much performance wise).

Right now, it is running about 14.2-14.4 in low-mid RPM cruise, 13.6-14.0 in higher RPM cruise (freeway speeds) and in the 12's for power (not WOT). Have not even checked WOT.

It seems to run well, I am at about 8-10 degrees BTDC on the timing.

This is an Edelbrock carb.

I have several rods, jets and springs and I have been changing them out, seeing the effect (it really does work, and it is quite cool).

Just looking for other's experience. It's nice knowing exactly what your A/F Ratio is, but knowing what to do with that is the other 75% of the battle...

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 27-May-2010 at 6:21AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 6:35AM
I usually use the middle line for my vehicles. I have an AEM wideband in my Cougar. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 10:49AM
Then I certainly have some more tuning to do.

I think I'm going to step down a jet size next. I think I put larger jets in the primaries when I rebuilt the carb (and of course did not annotate it anywhere), just a guess.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply