The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column Shifter to Floor Shifter HOW TO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gran Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column Shifter to Floor Shifter HOW TO
    Posted: 14-July-2010 at 7:39PM
Hi there i have a 1974 Gran Torion with a column shift and i was thinking about putting in a floor shifter how would i go about doing it.

Also if there are anyone out there who have the center console and shifter for sale please pm me thanks alot
1974 Gran Torino S&H Replica
The_Trooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 9:38PM
Get a B and M shifter!

I know I will, also heavily interested in this conversion as well!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 4:00AM
I can probably write something up with the pics I have. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 4:00AM
I am doing this very conversion now and I'm almost finished with it. What do
you need to know?
Jim

Gran Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gran Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 7:01AM

Pretty much everything there is to know about converting it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 2:41PM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

I am doing this very conversion now and I'm almost finished with it. What do
you need to know?

just like above, pretty much every step.LOL
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 3:23PM
I swapped in a steering column for a floor shift. You don't have to do this, but I think it looks better to have the right column in. I took the shifter hump and located it in it's correct position, then marked and drilled the holes for self threading bolts. Then I marked and cut the hole for the shifter. Once this was all bolted in place I was able to locate the console and brackets. After a number of trial fits, I marked, drilled, and riveted the brackets in place. The only problem I have is, I don't have the column/shifter lock out. I found the wire harness for the floor shifter which is plug n play. If you do change the steering column, don't forget the rubber boot that bolts to the firewall. This is different than the column shift boot. Ask me how I know......I didn't get this boot with the column I bought. I'll figure out a solution for this problem sooner or later.
If you need to bolt in buckets in place of a bench seat, the easiest way is to buy J clips and exhaust manifold studs. There are 2 more mounting points inner by the driveshaft tunnel that are exactly like the outer 2. You simply snap the J clips in place, screw the studs in and use a flanged nut to secure the seat. 

Jim

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 4:59PM
With some work you can make a B&M shifter look like an OEM install.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 5:12PM
Thank you for the pics, any more info is greatly appreciated!

I cannot thank you guys enough for helping meBig smile
Gran Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gran Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 10:35AM
yea same here thanks
Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 3:53PM
Hi,
I am also interested in how to sort out the wiring. I have a 75  Gran Torino which I have changed column to floor shifter. Just need to change over the wiring and all completed. Any tips as to what wires I need to pull out of steering column and connect to floor shifter. At the moment not sure what to do with this? Is it a direct plug and play from column to floor shifter?
Cheers
Damian
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 4:13PM
If you have the correct harness and plugs, it's plug 'n' play.
Jim

Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 4:55PM
All I have is the plugs running out if the shifter which is for 73-76 mustang/Gran Torino then existing wiring from column shifter. Is there any other wiring harness I need or simply disconnect column and plug into floor shifter?
Cheers
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2010 at 12:35AM
You need the small harness to connect the two.
Jim

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2010 at 2:32AM
There's a harness that runs from the shifter, across under the front seat, and up under that removable toe panel, if I remember right.
Paul
Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 1:48AM
Hi again,
been looking at this today and comtemplating whether i do it or go to auto elec. Is this correct as to what I need to do.
Disconect light on column shift indicator, NSS reverse light wiring and conect them up to floor shifte wiring. Any idea of wiring colors I need to keep an eye out for.
Sorry for sounding vague but new at this. I I remember seeing a wire plug under the driver seat, didnt have the correct connection though. Wire colors on the floor shifter were white, ligh blue,black. About 4 wires in total
Cheers
Damian
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 7:15AM
I have 2 shifter assemblies from Thunderbird SuperCoupes. They have the cable, connector and mounting brackets for the AOD. They have a flat plate to use for mounting as well. Indicator is built in along with a light. I think the AOD and most other trannies have the reverse switch ON the tranny. I could be wrong by some models.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73torinogt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torinogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2011 at 9:13AM
I just got my wiring connected, enough to get the motor to turn over anyhow. I have wiring diagrams if you like PM me and I can try to scan them and send yhem to you.

73TorinoGT
Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2011 at 10:57AM
Hi There,
If you have anything it would be appreciated. My issue is trying to connect column shift NSS switch and reverse to floor shifter. I have not been able to find anything such as wiring harnessing. If you could send it to damian.horne@medtronic.com would be greatly appreciated. I can give you a fax number which is 00111 41 398570692 if that was easier.
Thanks again for all your help. I am keen to get this done as soon as I get info so any info would be greatful for.
Cheers
Damian
73torinogt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torinogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2011 at 1:39PM
Is your NSS on the shifter? I'm got a 73 Tornio GT Fastback. On my wiring, there is a RED wire wirh a LT Blue strip that comes out of the connector then loops back in. It starts at the starter relay under the hood. After I cut it I used a OHM meter to find out which end it was. On the NNS there are two RED/LT BULUE wires. One attaches to the wire from the starter relay then the other attaches to the other cut end. It goes to the ignition switch.

A BROWN wire that goes to the light on the shifter.

There was a WHITE/PURPLE wire at the NSS to ground.

A BLACK/PINK wire that goes from the NSS to the back-up lights.

A PURPLE wire with WHITE HASH MARKS that is at the NSS to the seat belt retractor switch.

A LT GREEN from the NSS to seat belt warning light.

I will try to get the diagrams faxed to you tomorrow. there are 9 pages for this wiring (i think). Ther is like 25 pages total. Very easy to follow. If I can do it, just about anyone can.

73TorinoGT
 Post Reply Post Reply