Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AOD and small block - anyone done this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOD and small block - anyone done this?
    Posted: 04-August-2010 at 10:34AM
Seems as if there has been some discussion over the years here about AOD's and putting them into a Torino (etc). And not more than a month ago Psqaure75 had posted some links to a 460ford.com discussion about AOD's.

My question is: has anyone actually put an AOD in their mid-size with a small block and if so could you be very specific about what you did and roadblocks.

This is aimed at me who is considering such a task, and I am not a welder/fabricator/etc so any "special stuff" I will not likely catch on as quickly.

My understanding from what I have read is it is not that big of an issue. I suppose you need a special flywheel, the Lokar TV cable from trans to carb, an FMX rear trans mount and a driveshaft length change.

That doesn't sound like much. I thought it was more involved than that.

Thanks in advance.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 10:46AM
I posted on this as well.

From what I have read and been told... the 302 flywheel bolts right up as well as the housing.
Yes you need the Tranny cable or the rod.

As for the rear mount... not sure might have to make a plate or drill some new holes. Make sure you get the rear mount from whatever car you get the tranny from.
The driveshaft is gonna need some attention. Front yoke to match the Tranny then long enough to reach the rear yoke from the torino. Have to cut down or extend either the torino or the other shaft to work.

Also will need to look into the Speedo cable and gearing.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 2:52AM
I had tried an AOD against the 302 I put in my Elite abotu 11 years ago.

I bought the Lokar cable (I hated it)
To use an AOD you need an AOD specific flexplate, I think, as well as a late model balancer to match this (I remember I had crazy vibrations the first time I started it and had to change one of these).

The AOD used a C4 mount, I don't recall buying anything special. I think the driveshaft was the same.. Why didn't I use it after all the work I did?

Silly me for taking a trans out of a car with 110K miles that was in a hard wreck and burned.. I only got 2nd gear out of it.. but I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the 302.. That's when I went big block and never looked back.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 5:30AM
I am not a fan of the Lokar cable either.
If you are going this route, best bet get a Holley carb with the AOD kickdown and try a 351W rod {or, probably the 302 rod, just not sure. I know on my 84 F150, that rod had alot of clearance.}

I blew up my custom built AOD after swapping on that Lokar kit on the AOD kickdown, rolled the sprag gear because out of adjustment, and kaBLAM-bluewieee I went to just a 1st gear /reverse transmission.
So pissed at that point because I just caused the truck to grenade that trans.
Anyways, I digress.

Jon over at Fordmuscle stuck an AOD in his powder blue GTS for the gumball rally, but I think afterwards he yanked it out and stuck back in a 3 speed. Too many issues.
Me, personally, go through the hassle of the blasted ordeal to get an overdrive, I want to row my own gears...

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 5:50AM
I'm just saving for a GV. I already have a wide ratio C6. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 3:28PM
"Wide Ratio C6"? Please tell more.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 1:42AM
Might be doing this quicker than I thought!
I have a line on an AOD, working a deal.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:35AM
E4OD gear ratios:
1ST 2.71 to 1
2ND 1.54 to 1
3RD 1.00 to 1
4TH 0.71 to 1
REVERSE 2.18 to 1

C6 gear ratios
1ST 2.56 to 1
2ND 1.46 to 1
3RD 1.00 to 1

First and 2nd gear from an E4OD will fit into a C6. raising first and second gear. My gray Cougar may have miserable 2.47s in the 9" but it 'acts like' it has 2.61s in it in first gear :) 3rd gear however, is still 1:1.

Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 6:57AM
Cowbyupdjcarl - If you do go AOD, you'll have to do a progress thread on it. I know for one I am extremely curious, and I think would make a great guiney pig!

Paul - I never knew about the gear swapping with a E4OD. That would make a great difference. Also I did not know you had 2.47's in the rear. I heard they made them that high, guess that must have been factory in the Cougar and one of those late 70's "gas saving fixes"? Although I bet your highway cruise is quite nice, not even needing an AOD?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 7:30AM
This is the gray "Virginia" Cougar.. my stroker car has 3.5:1. Highway, I do 3K.. around 80 LOL
Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 10:29AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

This is the gray "Virginia" Cougar.. my stroker car has 3.5:1. Highway, I do 3K.. around 80 LOL

Yea, my 71 F-250 has 4.10's in it. Driving it across the state to Spokane (4.5 hr drive) is nuts. Even keeping it at 70 (speed limit is 70) is nuts, you are still over 3k.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 11:14AM
So far the 302 / AOD swap is working out fine in the Ranchero. My biggest problem wasn't the Lokar kickdown, it was retaining the column shifter. I actually thought the Lokar set up worked well, but I am running a Holley 600 too.
If anyone needs any photos let me know. Be warned this was a bare bones swap, done to last but with nothing wasted on eye candy. The Torino is still my money pit of choice at the moment.   

Chuck

Almost forgot. The Ranchero came with the FMX trans. It made the swap soooo much easier as the lenght difference is minor. I'm still using the original driveshaft. There are a few nuances to swap but it's basically bolt in. I still have to get rid of the original 3.00:1 rear though way too tall with the .67 OD.  

Edited by lynchster - 06-August-2010 at 11:18AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 11:45AM
Why not consider going to the trouble to fit a late model 6 speed manuel , obviously bell housing consern , drive sharft and a posable bucket seat job but this would be my preferance , sluch boxess are over rated , get down and dirty and shift thous gears   
1973 Q code sports roof
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 12:21PM
I am looking for a good performing car that gets decent mileage.

AOD, 302, 2 or 4 bbl, higher gear in the rear and big tires

My mustang I ran with this set up got well over 20MPG on the highway.

IT CHUGGED just  off idle at 65MPH. 
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 4:15AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

I am looking for a good performing car that gets decent mileage.

AOD, 302, 2 or 4 bbl, higher gear in the rear and big tires

My mustang I ran with this set up got well over 20MPG on the highway.

IT CHUGGED just  off idle at 65MPH. 

That is sort of where I was going with my project as well. I was thinking the stock 351W, rebuilt, it already has 2.75's in the rear, and an AOD or Paul's option of the E4OD gears and change my rear ratio to a bit higher.

Daily drivers must do well on the highway and get good gas MPG. I'd be happy with 14-15, anything higher would be serious bonus. Since I am driving my 71 F-250 right now and getting about 8 around town, 14 is sounding pretty good when I get my 75 Sport rebuilt.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2010 at 9:13AM
Originally posted by kenneth kenneth wrote:

Why not consider going to the trouble to fit a late model 6 speed manuel , obviously bell housing consern , drive sharft and a posable bucket seat job but this would be my preferance , sluch boxess are over rated , get down and dirty and shift thous gears   

I know I for one have zero interest in having a stick car. I built my car to cruise and daily drive. LOL
Paul
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2010 at 12:03PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Originally posted by kenneth kenneth wrote:

I know I for one have zero interest in having a stick car. I built my car to cruise and daily drive. LOL
I totally agree.
could even add an aftermarket cruise control. Looks like the route I am going with this project so I am going to be looking for an A/C set up as well.
AND electric windows. Might go electric seats too... who knows when I get in that far you never know! lol

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply