Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

z bar question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z bar question
    Posted: 05-August-2010 at 7:21AM
I have a z bar off of a 72 gran torino 351w. Anyone know if it will work on my 72 gran torino with 429 if I use the 429 block mount?Confused
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 3:50PM
it will be too long,  and probably the wrong location for the block mount, but it would be a good start for modification. Hopefully Stuck will chime in, he has a 429 stick 72-76 car
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 7:15PM
WELCOME TO THE SITE i think it would work. what throws me off is you said 351-w [windsor how many stick windsors,column shift?meant 351-C ??]. I used all stock ford parts and modified 2 parts ,that does not mean anything about the availability of aftermarket parts .i swapped out the 351- C and had no angle or length issues with the Z-bar. i used the 351-C block bracket and barely needed to elongate one of the two holes for mounting. if your using a aftermarket bellhousing[ http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#ford ] you might need 2 spacers to match stock thickness or angle could be off. if your using a d7te [truck bellhousing] you may have a fork issue because the 429 70-71 torino fork and 428 mustang do not fit that bell.without surgery. What set up are you going for toploader etc. what parts do you have. tell us the whole story about your car even a pic would be good. ask away if you have any questions .I have a lot of info and resources for this swap and would always like to learn more options.ask me to chime in and i write a book.

Edited by stuck - 05-August-2010 at 7:47PM
michigan
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:32PM
My torino has a 429 with c-4 i have every thing to do the swap except for the bellhousing and fork if the cleveland stuff will work.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:34PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:35PM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:36PM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:37PM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:41PM

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:42PM
I like the painted intake! but the cj valve covers?????  now thats going too farCensored
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 3:27PM
who painted my valve covers? last time i was under the hood they were still polished picks were before that notice no bolts yet?
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 6:01PM
 as far as i know the small block toploader has a longer pilot bushing area wich equals a input shaft that is to long for use with big block .looks like you would break a sb toploader anyway.  do you have a big block toploader 1"3/8" input shaft ? what is the tag  ID. on the trans. you will need a bell housing . By the looks of that engine you will probably want aftermarket . you will need a Big Block fork ,heres a fork source  national parts depot mustang catalog page 137 part 7515-5 click on the bottom fork with the big hole    http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=tan09flx&from=2    you will also need the adapter bullet to put on your adjusting rod to fill that big hole on the fork NPD part #7b535-1a                                            http://www.quicktimeinc.com/RM-8010.swf   call and ask quicktime if this bell housing will accept a long pressure plate because with a diaphram you will need to make a pedal stop. you may have noticed your pedal snaps to the floor without its linkage.RM-8011 460 Ford Big Block Bellhousing - Toploader/Borgwarner T-10 Transmission   
  • Height = 6.300
  • Trans. Bore Ø = Universal 4.85/4.910/4.685
  • Engine = Ford 351m, 400, 429, 460
  • Trans. = Universal Toploader/Borgwarner T-10/Short Shaft Ford TKO 500-600
  • Clutch Ø = 12"
  • Flywheel = 176 tooth
  • Weight = 22#
  • Universal fork brackets for diaphragm or cable linkage
  • Has passed all SFI testing
  • Pivot ball, fork brackets, grade 8 bolts, and full engine plate included    

• Edited by stuck - 06-August-2010 at 6:44PM
    michigan
    stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 6:47PM
     i have to go .tomorrow i have some more info
    michigan
    stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 6:14AM
        oops heres the link to quicktime for the RM-8011  scroll to it http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#ford    Like i said i slightly elongated one of the holes of engine side 351-C z bar bracket . depeding on which hole you do will slightly change the bar angle ,so do it after the bell housing is on so you can mock it up to pick the correct hole. sorry i forgot top or bottom hole. If you are trying to use a small block toploader get the bellhousing install the pilot bushing ,block plate and bellhousing .carefully install the sb trans slowly bolting it down check thru hole for the fork your clearance between input shaft and crank . my experience you will get the sb trans all but about a 1/8 inch mated to bellhousing and it will stop when the longer small block input shaft bottoms out in crank due to the longer pilot area. I know about lakewood bellhousings and the lack of a 429 mcleod housing and dialing in lakewood bellhousings. the quicktime i should you is suppose to be ready to install with block plate and hardware [the way to go] your drive shaft be a problem depending on which trans you use .to solve drive shaft problems and what looks like a big power Big block i suggest you get a custom drive shaft and Hi performance yokes with 1350 ujoints your 9 inch yoke is usually 1330. one possible problem is your yoke is probably 28 spline . i suggest you use a aftermarket sfi racing flywheel and suggest centerforce your balance ,there drilled for both long and diaphram pressure plates. at the end of it all you will probably end up with 429 ,centerforce flywheel and dual friction clutch,quicktime bellhousing,68-69 428 mustang fork and fork adjusting rod adapter bullet. 70-71 torino 429 toploader and a custom drive shaft. and a fabricated clutch pedal stop. don't give up it's worth the work. PM me your phone # because there is different options and variables and im still not sure what all and exactly your working with.

Edited by stuck - 07-August-2010 at 7:15AM
    michigan
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 2:02PM
    DeadThanks for the info Stuck the trans i am going to use is the keisler t45-rs450 You can see it at www.keislerauto.com

Edited by madmaxtorino - 07-August-2010 at 2:04PM
    stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 3:29PM
     Dead yeah i could have said where theres a will theres a way and kept it simple. i looked for the 450 only found the 425. i think you will have to much ft lbs. even if they have one for 450 ft. lbs. looks like your looking at overdrive with that 5th gear. the tko 600 looks like a better match to your engine . i did not see a BB 429-460 bellhousing at there site,but quicktime has this one

RM-8010 460/400 Ford Big Block Bellhousings - Ford TKO 500-600/TR3500/T5 Mustang Transmission

• Height = 7.050
    • Trans. Bore Ø = Universal 4.910/4.685
    • Engine = Ford 351m, 400, 429, 460
    • Trans. = Universal Ford TKO 500-600/T5 Mustang/TR3550
    • Clutch Ø = 12"
    • Flywheel = 176 tooth
    • Weight = 22#
    • Universal fork brackets for diaphragm or cable linkage
    • Has passed all SFI testing
    • Pivot ball, fork brackets, grade 8 bolts, and full engine plate included

Edited by stuck - 07-August-2010 at 3:30PM
    michigan
    stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 3:45PM
     i had a sport with a stock 77 460 fmx 3 speed auto and 3.23 gear 14"tires that would do 140 max many times 5 miles at a time . it was no slouch of the line either. now imagine your engine with a 4 speed toploader for a simple set up or a tko 600 5 speed,but now you have to figure trans xmember /shifter location /clutch fork /12"clutch disc may be special order.you might need to make a z bar [easy]
    michigan
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 3:49PM
    stuck did you get the pm i sent?
    stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 4:02PM
    just got, call you in couple minutes
    michigan
     Post Reply Post Reply