The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving Auto Tran like Manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving Auto Tran like Manual?
    Posted: 10-August-2010 at 2:51PM
Is this bad for the trans?

I only upshift then leave it in Drive while im giong downhill then shift back to 1st when Im at a stoplight or a complete stop.

I can shift and accelerate WAYYYY better than leaving it on D.

I just hope i didn't or start to fuk it up on my Birthday already LOL
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2010 at 6:44PM
Depends on what mods have been done to the tranny, so long as you're not neutral dropping you should be fine.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
The_Trooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2010 at 10:30PM
What is neutral dropping?

None at all, bone stock.

Would i get better MPG this way?
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2010 at 3:21AM
Neutral dropping is when you put it in neutral and rev it up then shift it into drive thus causing it to light up the tires or break something!! Lol! I drive the same way with many of my cars and have never had a problem with shifting myself. I have to do this most of the time in my Torino because its in 3rd by 10mph if I leave it in D!
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2010 at 1:03PM
Off subject, kinda, not really. Did you know that you can push start a Ford w/the C4/C6 transmission. I read it in an old Chiltons last night. They say if your starter goes bad you can get the car up to 25 MPH and drop it into 1st gear & it'll turn over. 46 & still learning. WTF
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2010 at 2:38PM
Hmm...personally, I have man handled many an automatic Torino.
One wheen burnouts holding it in first gear till about 30, I have neutral dropped a C4 in my red '76 elite a couple times, don't recommend it, but stupidity and testing a car saved from death at a junkyard...I was I think going out of my way to kill the tires and the transmission after installing a B&M megashifter and driving like a maniac.Evil Smile
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2010 at 6:30PM
awesome as hell, im trying to enjoy my baby, just not wreck it. btw how do you burnout then?

Can't do it the proper way, i know you have to lock the front brakes...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2010 at 6:06AM
LOL, um, is there a "proper way"?

Hold the brakes, press the gas, the backs will start to smoke. Simple as that.

Toss some bleach and water down, and the fun will ensue. Along with probably a bald tire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2010 at 4:08PM
Stupid is as stupid does. mind is blown. should have thought simple idk if i want to fuk up my tires though lolLOL

bought a 85$ battery for the torino so don't want to get more sht.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2010 at 5:46AM
I sat in my old Elite one time and just powerbraked the car when we lived in a parking garage in downtown Omaha. Filled the who parking garage full of smoke {Thank God no one else was there except my then fiance and my buddy Brian}.
2.75 rear gears, peg leg open axle, and my 351c with a edlebrock performer carb and intake spinnin' away.
We went in after opening up both doors, and venting the place. Fun stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply