The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Half way budget Air Cleaner needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Half way budget Air Cleaner needed
    Posted: 29-September-2010 at 9:30AM

I have a 351W that I just finished installing the following;

Summit High Rise intake mani.
Summit 4 barrel Carb, a nice part I should add.
HEI Distributor, yes the cheap one. It is going along fine.

Now, I trimmed down the carb stud and my stock air cleaner was fitting fine before I put in the new dizzy. ( This is an Elite, by the way)
With that huge cap, I can't get my air cleaner to fit.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money and I don't really want to go with a dinky little setup either.

Your thoughts?

moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2010 at 9:34AM
I ran into the same problem and I honestly have no idea what to do. I was thinking about getting a mid 80s 5.0 air cleaner with the dual snorkel and then paint it blue. they have like a dent in the front to clear the distributor. I hope someone has a good idea 
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2010 at 9:46AM
General Motors uses the large cap. How about using a GM breather and turn it around backwards?....Pinch.....Just kidding!!
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2010 at 9:47AM

The “bigger” HEI dizzy with the enclosed coil I think is the problem there is a smaller “Procomp” unit without coil in the head , need to run a separate coil elsewhere , small unit is similar to factory dizzy , need to have low profile leads at 90 degrees    

1973 Q code sports roof
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2010 at 12:17PM
An aftermarket cheapo would work. $20 at O'Reilly's?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2010 at 2:34PM
When I ran an HEI setup like the summit one on my Elite, I used a 'large' style 5.0 air cleaner (I think it was from a 351C or something, I forget) and I think I put a small spacer under the air cleaner. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 11:46AM
I am using a carb spacer to help clear my hei dist. Got it at summit for around $25. I will look for a pic
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 5:35PM
Here it is. I ended up needing a 3/4 spacer but they make them from 1/4" up through 2". Just make sure your air cleaner wont hit the hood.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2010 at 2:02AM
liking it !!!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 5:14AM
Thanks guys. I've decided to use a inexpensive cleaner for now - the edelbrock performer. I like the idea of the later model cleaner and will be keeping an eye open for one. The car is running pretty good now. Just have to save up for some headers. - there will always be something.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 7:41AM
Originally posted by Grande Verde Grande Verde wrote:

Here it is. I ended up needing a 3/4 spacer but they make them from 1/4" up through 2". Just make sure your air cleaner wont hit the hood.

You know your choke is disconnected, right? Wink
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply