The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C6 trans slips out of park clicking feeling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C6 trans slips out of park clicking feeling
    Posted: 29-October-2010 at 5:26PM
So the Tribute Torino is having issues. I just had a new trans put in it was an FMX now its a C6. The shifter (column) is a slack when you put it in gear P-1, you can move it back and forth to the point its hard to tell what gear its in.

This past week when I put it in park sometimes it will slip making a clicking feeling. I have to move back into drive, the slam it back into park. So I took it back to the shop, he lifts it up tells me to put it in N the P a few time and says its fixed that it was loose at the trans, he tightened it and cant tighten it anymore. After I wanted to install the electric choke myself, he helped me put the airfilter on. As he was leaning over the car it ROLLED BACK!! He didnt seem to worry about it, but no one was in the car when it rolled. If I hit someone I would have to pay, so I guess I am more worried about it than he is/was but even still he said there was nothing else he could do under the car.

What can I do, will fixing the slop in the shifter at the indicator fix the slipping out of park? Its always locked into gears, but park is the only bad spot. Any help with wht parts to order, where to order, and price to fix it up would be AWESOME!
Thanks for your time and help!!
1973 GTS-351c C6 28sp axle 2.73gears (looking to change)

2004 electric wheelchair super fast!

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 11:47PM
 Yes you can find another transmission guy , that is a linkage problem, usally just an addjustment issue but Im not sure if the shift lever a from a FmX is compatibile  with a C6 , Big money was paid out by GM to people who got backed over by there own cars after they thought they had shifted into park,  find a shop that only does transmissons.

Edited by albo74 - 30-October-2010 at 12:02AM
albos73gts
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 12:21AM
NOT the guy I want working on any of my stuff!

sounds like the shifter and linkage is in park position but the linkage and rod in the trans is not fully engaged. It is going to take some careful looking to see what is needs adjusting.

the tranny guy tightened linkages but that did not fix the problem.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73 Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 12:51AM
These cars had a recall in the late 70's for this problem.  I still have all my recall info from my 73 GTS.  Here is the best part, the fix was a sticker you put on your dash to remind you to use your emergency brake when parked.

Bob
Bob
73 Ranchero

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 2:29AM
im interested in knowing as my tranny does the same thing.different motor and trans then original.If the shifter is the problem would be awesome as I have my old B&M Megashifter from my 73 Torino 17 yrs ago and it worked great on the 351C C6 trans.Someone swapped in a 69 429 2V & I assume it's a C6,really haven't looked but it's a Q code car so wouldn't it have a C6 behind a 4v Cleveland originally?if so the shifter would be the same.I was thinking the tranny was messed up but later today i'm gonna jack up the car and disconnect the shifter then manually shift it to see if the shifter was not letting it go into park all the way.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2010 at 4:16AM
I hate that sticker. It will be removed from my car ASAP. The good news is after I get an AOD in there, it won't apply anyway!!!
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
73 Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2010 at 8:34AM
I still have the sticker, never put it on, never will.
Bob
73 Ranchero

GA Army Vet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2010 at 1:47PM
He is a machinest and was doing my work as a favor for the "tribute torino."

The issue is not the linkage by the trans as its adjusted correct, its the slack in the column somewhere, he only worked under the car and said that it was in the column, but I would have to take it apart myself because he doesnt do that (he normaly does just machine work, he wont even pull and engine for most people. But he replaced all my things for me for free, all I had to pay for was the rebuild)

After searching all weekend online I see people saying if you strip your column down there are plastic bushings inside that wear out and will cause the indicator to be off, and there to be slop on the shifter its self. If there is to much slop when you try and move it into park or 1st (PRND21) it cant go in sometimes beccause its to sloppy. (just like my issue, sometimes it works and sometimes it clicks.) I found that if I pull the shift lever to me all the way, and keep it up past park, let off the brake and hold the lever for 2sec it will lock up first time and no clicks, but if I just move it like I am not paying attention and just throw it into park and get out, then it slips and clicks. So untill I can get someone who has rebuilt a column and knows what parts are the ones going bad, or can tell me some hints when taking it apart, I am gonna leave it like it is and park on flat areas LOL

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.
76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 12:20AM
Is it a tilt or standard colm? I might have a spare stuck away deep in the shop somewhere. I really don't remember if it made the move from Fl to GA. If I can find it you can have it. Might swap out or give you some parts you can use. I think it came off of a 75 cougar but I'm not really sure.
76 one owner Factory 460/moonroof cougar
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 5:01AM
No it's not a tilt, but that don't mean I won't swap :)

76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 8:35AM
I'll look for it this weekend when I get back home.
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 12:17PM
well thanks to this thread my car is fixed.I jacked it up tonite and crawled under and looked at the cable which has a slotted end,loosened up the bolt and moved the selector on the trans to fully engage park then tightened it back up.car doesn't roll or click now it locks in park which is good cause emergency brake don't work.gonna install my B&M Megashifter anyway so that will cure any issues with the column shifter
76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 8:30AM
I found it this weekend. I'ts a non tilt colm shift. I live west of you in north GA. Send me an email at lawtonwebb@windstream.net and we'll see what it will take to get it to you.
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2010 at 3:53PM

I sent you an email on your act.

76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2010 at 2:47AM
Didn't get email try again.
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2010 at 8:49AM
ok I sent another one

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2010 at 9:08AM
in my experience the FMX and C6 linkage arms & cable brackets are not the same and don't work with the other trans. my first guess is that your mechanic did what he could with what was there but it's obviously not good enough if the car doesn't lock into park securely

get that car to a trans shop for someone who knows what they're looking at to see what he's done, i don't think there are any bushings in the cable linkage to wear out. you may need to find the correct cable & bracket for the C6 or go to a floor shifter. if you go the floor shifter route, stay away from the cheapies that work off the internal trans detents and have no secure mechanism to hold each gear position, they can be easily bumped out of park or into reverse while you're driving

i was looking at getting one of these if i stay with my automatic

but there are several B&M and Hurst shifters that would work fine

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-November-2010 at 9:09AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2010 at 10:25AM
I am swapping my 351c (rebuilt 32days ago for high hp) for a 460. The trans shop is going to give me a big block case to swap my new race insides with so I am not aquatint money on a new trans. So I will speak with him about it, now all I have to do is sell my Cleveland and recover that money to build the 460 with $4,200 in hp parts and alum top end

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 5:37PM
Ok guys, or gals. The torino is a bench seat and column shift, I want to put a floor shifter in (TCIauto). I wanna know if it will bolt in. I dont care if it touches the seats when its are slid up, for short drivers. Has anyone done this??? I dont mean has anyone one swapped to a floor shift with buckets I just want bench seat fit. 

Believe me in my heart I want a manual trans, this is my very first auto! So I want to take the auto shift rod and put a hurst angled shifter on it. So it looks like a manual. Also to fix the loose shifter with out taking the steering wheel aprt.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 9:30PM
forget who it was,maybe Andy told me or somebody else that they had a B&M shifter with a bench seat.Lokar has auto shifter that looks like manual and B&M has Unishifter which has the manual 4 spd look and with those don't have a big base so would give you better clearence with bench seat but it most certainly can ge done
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 10:09PM
nevermind the B&M Unimatic has no lockout so can't race with that.Lokar has the nostalga shifter with lockout gutton in the shifter knob and they do have the shorter 16" shifter.bad thing it's double the price at $250 but you have to have lockout,otherwise have to go with the other floor shifters and they have the base and less clearence for your bench seat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2010 at 3:35PM
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-products/PRO-MATIC-2-RATCHET-SHIFTER/PRO-MATIC-2-RATCHET-SHIFTER_2
I know it says for truck but I have this great idea, I am going to make a bracket shaped like a V or W and on each \ and / I will have 2holes drilled, the stick has a slight bend, but with the bracket I can move the mounting angle to bring the shifter closer to me (like pistole grip ones) With the longer rod I can mount the shifter closer to the dash so short people can drive, should put the shifter 1/2way on the leg (seat all the way up) and when a tall person drives it puts it by the knees,but not past the knee. If I left the mounting holes alone a tall person has to reach out when shifting (not easy when being slamed back by the engine). I figure this would give the most adjustability, and I wont have to worry about having a big stick and mounting it by dash.

Haz anyone tried this? Or am I a pretty fart smeller... :) PROSTREET, is this a good price? Would you use it?

Post Reply Post Reply