The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ZF 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZF 5 speed
    Posted: 17-November-2010 at 2:28PM
any one here ever install a ZF 5 speed from an f250 in your car? did some research, apparently their preaty durrable and lighter than my C6. other than the obvious advantage to the 2 extra gears.
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 2:23AM
I'm going to be doing this swap on my car this winter.  Picking up the trans next week.  It's more like a three speed with overdrive since 1st gear is more of a granny ratio.

Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 3:06AM
You mise well just go with the ZF6Big smile
I have driven multple trucks with the zf trannies and there is one thing I noticed about them. They shift like a big truck transmission. long throw, pretty clunky through the gears and first is pretty useless (in a car application) because its so low. Now dont get me wrong I love the ZF in my f-350, it is stout and gets the job done. I just cant imagine it in a car
just my .02
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 5:15AM
no its definatly a good point. and your right cause that first gear would be good for nothing but burn outs, after doing some more research i think the c6 has more benifits
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 2:52AM
Agreed, 1st gear won't be very usable outside of parking lots and driveways.  I'm doing it for the overdrive, and because I like to use re-purposed factory parts.  To the best of my knowledge, the 6-speeds weren't offered with the 7.5L.

Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 3:04AM
I was just joking about the zf6. They are found in 7.3 and 6.0 trucks
 Post Reply Post Reply