The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

c4 automatic transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: c4 automatic transmission
    Posted: 23-November-2010 at 11:22AM
I have a 1973 Torino with a 351w and a c4 transmission. The transmission goes into reverse perfectly but when shifted into drive it does nothing. Any suggestions?
Phil
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 1:36PM
time for a full flush, if it doesn't help, you're good to drop the pan and check the valve body Wink
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 4:12PM
you could read a bit and/or search here,

or get a manual with a diagnostic troubleshooting checklist and go from there

does it do anything if you pull it down manually into L2 or L1?

does it catch Drive it you let the engine warm up a while?

i doubt there's anything you can do in the pan or valvebody since it does have Reverse, if you tear into and make a mess of it, it'll just make it harder for the trans builder to figure out what's wrong
Ranchero72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 12:00AM
Had this issue with my C4. Low fluid level was the cause.
'72 Ford Ranchero 500
-351C C4
benzesrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 4:18AM
Thanks for the replies! It does nothing when shifting it into drive or any other forward gear. It shifts really smooth into reverse. I haven't let the car warm up because of the old gas in the tank. I will be cleaning the tank next week. The car only has 76037 miles on it. Thanks
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 8:44AM
sometimes miracles happen with a filter & fluid, but it has enough fluid to get Reverse...

old units get what they call 'morning sickness'

the seals dry up, harden and don't seal until they warm up & soften a little. in those cases maybe a 'conditioner' product would restore / improve function 

if it has sat a while maybe a piston is stuck, could be a valve in the body stuck too 
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 5:51PM
Originally posted by Ranchero72 Ranchero72 wrote:

Had this issue with my C4. Low fluid level was the cause.

How's your fluid level?
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
benzesrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2011 at 2:42PM
update...When the rear wheels are off the ground the trans will go into gear and even feels like it shifts. When the car is cold, it moves in forward. any ideas?
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2011 at 3:04PM
i would hope a guy checked & corrected the fluid level before posting a trans related Q?

fluid is properly checked warm & after running the selector through the ranges several times to fill the converter & valve body. if checked cold the level may show a little under FULL but should still be run through the ranges
72 GT Ute

iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 1:23AM
I had this issue with my '73 Montego way back.
Sheared the teeth off the forward clutch hub. Had to drive it 20 miles backwards to get home.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply