The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Puller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Puller
    Posted: 31-December-2010 at 7:05AM
I am contemplating a front-end rebuild for my Cougar, and am looking at spring pullers. I've noticed the two kinds, the one that goes inside the spring and the one that is 2 or 3 pieces that fits on the outside of the spring. I'm assuming we would use the latter, the type that fits on the outside of the spring, correct? I don't see any way to fit the other kind past the A-arm!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 7:23AM
I won't advise it, but when I do my car I usually have the car in the air on jackstands. I'll put a floor jack under the lower control arm, raising it a bit. I'll proceed to remove the upper arm and spindle I'll also disconnect the shock absorber from the lower arm only.. I'll then undo the strut rod from the lower control arm.

Finally I'll lower the floor jack (standing to the side) and let the shock hang, passing through the control arm while it drops. I'll then use a BFPB, (big F____ pry bar) and stand to one side as the spring pops off the lower arm. Springs kill. I never came across an internal spring compressor.. the external type won't work with our springs (I've tried), but I've never had one fly anywhere leaving the shock absorber on. YMMV

Pretty much like this

Edited by Psquare75 - 31-December-2010 at 7:30AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 8:19AM

I've read that the method you describe should only be used by really experienced people. I don't consider myself experienced ^_^. My friend and I took the springs out of his 4Runner using big C-clamps; I figured the external spring clamps are kind of like C-clamps and would work. Why don't they work with our springs, just too hard to get to?

The internal spring pullers are like this:

http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/5734mit.jpg

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 8:23AM
The externals don''t work because the frame and control arm get in the way. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 8:25AM
Drat, I was affraid of that. I guess the internals are what's intended, then. I'll have to look at my manual when I get home.

Thanks!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 8:26AM
To be honest, I'd be afraid to use the big C Clamps over 'my' method.. clamp slips with your hand on and it, bye bye fingers. 

Paul
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 11:05AM
I'm assuming the front end on your Cougar (it's a '77, right?) is the same as a '72 Torino. IIRC, you remove the shock first, then feed the internal type spring compressor up through the hole the shock came out of. Carefully hook all 4 hooks on the compressor on the spring coils as close to the ends of the spring as possible and tighten compressor as much as possible. The spring will compress if done correctly, then the ball joint can be disconnected safely, and the spring can be removed. Of course, be VERY CAREFUL because if the compressor slips, bad things will happen.
  If you don't plan on re-using the spring, you can heat it with an oxy-acetylene torch and it will collapse. Then you still have to use the compressor to compress the new spring for re-assembly. If I've forgotten anything, I'm sure someone will tell me off.

Edited by stanman - 31-December-2010 at 11:08AM
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 12:14PM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

I'm assuming the front end on your Cougar (it's a '77, right?) is the same as a '72 Torino. IIRC, you remove the shock first, then feed the internal type spring compressor up through the hole the shock came out of.

I had to go with a slightly different approach when I reinstalled my new springs. I too removed the shock but used a large heavy washer in place of the upper "hook". Basically I cranked the spring up into the pocket and then installed the lower arm.
The only downside being a perfect circle of paint damage to my painted frameCry.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 12:24PM
Still a good idea, except for the paint damage. I'm sure you're the only one that will notice it.
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2011 at 5:53PM
the classic ford manual says lower the control arm ,but i use the internal spring compressor always watching that the hooks stay on the spring because sometimes they move while compressing .remove the shock and the internal compressor slips up thru lower arm . you could use the jack after the spring is mostly compressed . http://www.eastwood.com/coilspring-compressor-internal.html    
michigan
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2011 at 2:26AM
Ah, cool, so the internal spring puller will fit through the shock hole in the lower arm? Perfect! I'd feel much safer using one of those.

I'm not too worried about paint damage to the frame - I don't think there's any paint left on it LOL! - but hopefully I could fit the spring in with the correct clamps.
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
 Post Reply Post Reply