The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Pan Gasket Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Pan Gasket Question.
    Posted: 10-February-2011 at 8:28AM
I had a new transmission pan gasket installed on a C6 transmission, the bolts were torqued the right way, to 10 foot pounds, like the gasket manufacturer recommended, but it is still leaking slowly at the pan, the car has a large one quart transmission cooler, installed in front of the radiator, the fluid lines from the radiator to the trans cooler add another one third of a quart or slightly more to the total transmission fluid capacity in the system, which is almost one and a half quarts more than it came with from the factory, so when the car is parked facing uphill the fluid leaks very slowly from the back of the pan, when the car is parked facing down hill the fluid drips very slowly from the front of the pan, it is a thin cork style gasket, that came with a new filter, i saw a picture in a book where it shows a transmissions fluid is slightly lower than the gasket area when the transmission is on level ground, but if you park a car on a steep hill, the fluid should not leak at all, the gasket surfaces on the trans and pan are clean and flat, so that is not the problem, do i need a thicker gasket or a larger capacity pan? 
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 8:45AM
The car is parked slightly facing up hill, i noticed that after it leaks one quart, it does not leak any more, until i add more transmission fluid.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 8:48AM
Did you tap the bolt holes like I said in the other thread?
Was the pan FLAT and STRAIGHT all the way around the mating surface?
Did you pry the old pan off with a screwdriver or other tool that bent the pan edge?
Can you see the gasket is straight all the way around and not squished in/out?
Did you use a gasket sealer of some kind? If so... what was it? SOME sealants do not like cork!

Thin cork will ALOT of times squish itself apart in the middle when torqued down.
Especially if the pan has the raised center ridge or the bolt holes were deforemed from before or the pan is not flat and straight.

You say you you torqued it to 10ft lbs? how? with what?
p.s. I have never used a torque wrench on a tranny pan. 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 8:49AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

The car is parked slightly facing up hill, i noticed that after it leaks one quart, it does not leak any more, until i add more transmission fluid.
Are you SURE it is from the pan gasket and not the dipstick/filler tube o-ring or the shifter lever seal?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 9:07AM
The pan is flat and straight all the way around the mating surface, it is not bent, the gasket does not look squished, i did not use any sealer, the bolt holes are not deformed, it was torqued with a torque wrench, i am sure the leak is from the pan, the gasket is a little over one sixteenth inch thick, i dont think this pan has the ridge on the mating surface.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 9:12AM
Sounds like a new gasket is in order.
I prefer the non Cork ones.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 9:22AM
Since you did not recomend a larger capacity pan, i too think the problem is the gasket.
 Post Reply Post Reply