The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding over the opera windows, any hints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding over the opera windows, any hints
    Posted: 13-March-2011 at 8:34AM
I'd like to "delete" the opera windows on my Elite. Any tips or warnings I should be aware of?

Toby
'76 Ford Elite - Sold
Looking for a '72
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 10:24AM
Interior panels available for afterward?
Just a thought.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 12:00PM
72-76 Torino Formal roof panels w/o glass will fit. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 1:27AM
Great question, as my '76 has the opera windows and I am going to eliminate them (along with the 1/2 top).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 2:26AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

72-76 Torino Formal roof panels w/o glass will fit. 
You are meaning the interior panels right?
Toby
'76 Ford Elite - Sold
Looking for a '72
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 4:42AM
Very simple.
Remove opera windows.
Remove interior crap by windows to avoid potential of fire. {IE, head liner, insulation behind interior panels}
Remove seats?
Pull out carpet?
Headliner dropped out a bit?
Get some 3M weld paper to cover the 1/4 and door glass from weld spatter if left in the car.
Big spray bottle of water and a wet towel incase of fires.

I would just take cardboard, trim to the size, trim metal to fit.
buttweld or do a small overlap and plug weld.
I miss my Elites...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 4:43AM
Speaking of which, if you need a full set of Elite hubcaps, I have a set, and a spare hood emblem.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2011 at 10:29AM
Sounds like a plan. Thanks Andy. I should be able to get to that in the next month or so. Maybe I'll try to make a video of it like Billy.

I still have my hubcaps and they are in real good condition, I just don't like em so I took them off. If anyone is near arizona and would like them I'd make them a hell of a deal. I have an extra grille and front bumper too in pretty nice shape.
Toby
'76 Ford Elite - Sold
Looking for a '72
dlarson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 12:30PM
Hey TG I know it was over a year ago but I need a complete front bumper for a 76 elite. Would you still have the one you were talking about?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 9:31AM
Yeah, my brother still wants to go with a different clip for his elite.
So I still have it. It's in good original condition but shipping would probably kill you. I'm in Sierra Vista 85635.

PM me if you want to still go ahead but you could most likely find something local that was as good condition.
Toby
'76 Ford Elite - Sold
Looking for a '72
dlarson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 11:55PM
Hi,
Theres not many of these cars left around Chicago due to salt & rust. That's whats wrong with mine. The supports are rusted out and the bumper is ready to fall off. This car was bought new by our Aunt and we've had it since. Are yours still pretty solid? I'd like to get the assy. and repl. all the bad stuff. How much did you want for it? I can check on the shipping.

Thanks
Dale
Born_Again_Torinos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born_Again_Torinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2012 at 5:50AM
Hi, I've welded over the opera windows on at least 20 of my Gran Torinos. It is pretty simple but not easy. I leave the glass in. It gives me one more barrier for sound and gunk. cover the side and rear window and mirror.

Make a template of the hole you want to cover. Trace the template on 20 gauge steel. Cut out the window plug and trim according to fit. Weld in place. Grind the weld flat. Bondo the C pillar and board sand flat and smooth.

Here are some photos of some of my opera windows being welded.

One 1973 Gran Torino
Seventeen 1974 Gran Torinos
Four 1975 Gran Torinos
Nine 1976 Gran Torinos
AND COUNTING!
http://www.bornagaintorinos.com
 Post Reply Post Reply