The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holly 650

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holly 650
    Posted: 03-April-2011 at 2:50PM
What do you guys think about the holly 650 4bbl vs. the original 4bbl on my 351c?  Im gonna have to clean/rebuild the original any way and have a holly that is several years old but never been installed.  may even need new gaskets for the holly.  Also , can the holly just bolt right up or do i need spacers?
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2011 at 3:00PM
The Holley is most likely a Square Bore and your stock intake is a Spread Bore. I think they make an adapter for it. IMO you might as well switch the stock intake out for an aluminum one, Edelbrock Performers are nice for street cars.  
bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 12:43AM
what do yall know about an Edelbrock Torker II intake?  Is that too extreme and gonna involve more  from the carb?
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2011 at 6:59PM
what's the 'list' number on the front of the choke tower on the Holley?

they never upgraded the Torker for the 351C so there's no Torker II, just the original Torker. not sure what the rest of your combo is but when i bolted a Torker onto my otherwise pretty much stock combo(2.75 gears, stock converter) it totally sucked. Torker is a single plane intake, which means that each cylinder has access to all 4 bbls instead of only 2 as with a dual plane intake... effectively doubling the size of the carb. i wouldn't recommend it without a lot of rear gear and good amount of stall or manual trans. carb tuning(jets and/or metering rods)is likely to be needed due to the change in signal from dual plane to single plane

the Torker will run right with the Strip Dominator(said to make the most power for a standard style intake), it's a pretty serious piece but will work on the street if the combo is matched 

yes a stock 72 intake manifold should be the 4350 spreadbore pattern, similar but different from a Rochester Quadrajet pattern, pretty sure it's the same as a Carter Thermoquad pattern?

the mount studs are on the same pattern as a square Holley, and there is a specific adapter plate that covers the EGR passage in the carb flange of the intake
boy that price keeps goin up don't it?

between removing the EGR plate and the height difference between the stock carb & a Holley there's no height problem, might even be lower? but a Ford aircleaner may not fit the Holley w/o some tweeking

Performer intakes are easy to find in the ads for a decent $ and save some weight but the stock cast iron intake is pretty good too, you just need to decide which way you want to go and if the $ is worth it or not. be aware that there are Performers for both 2V and 4V, the port sizes are different, and the F351 intake is the earlier version of the Performer, again in 2V and 4V

Edited by Rockatansky - 16-April-2011 at 7:01PM
72 GT Ute

73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 1:21AM
+1 on recomending a dual plane manifold like a Performer. While the Torker is a great track/high RPM manifold, it is not the best for idle/midrange. The Torker name it misleading as it should have been called the Horsepower manifold.
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 4:25AM
The F351 for 2V is what I have on my '72 4-bolt engine. But I've got '74 2V heads. The Edelbrock fits on it good but I still have a long way to go to make it "right". The Performers and F351 may not be the most technologically advanced manifolds but they sure get the job done. A Torker is what I consider a racing manifold, it doesn't have any low-end and won't help you unless you have the cam, stall, and gears to make it sing.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 3:02PM
Thanks guys.  I have the adaptors and just need to decide if I am staying with the original intake until I tear the engine down(a good ways down the road)or go ahead and install a new one with the Holly.
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 3:17PM
are you sure about your adapters? that's the only one i know of that does it right. there's an exhaust passage in the carb flange of the intake that standard generic adapters doesn't cover
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 3:25PM
this is the Aussie version slightly different but you get the idea. hollow adapters allow the EGR trough and the carb bbls to connect and the side ear is missing. most of them don't work unless you leave the EGR plate in place

72 GT Ute

bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2011 at 12:53AM
Heres what I got and I forgot to get the # of the carb.
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2011 at 4:23AM
that's the one... that doesn't work out too good on Ford spreadbore manifolds. no ear to cover the EGR and they usually need to be gone over with a file to get them in the ballpark flat enough to seal

don't get yourself in a pickle with that adapter plate
72 GT Ute

bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 4:21PM
OK I was nosing around and found another adaptor plate with all the carb stuff.  Do you think its the one I need?
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 6:50PM
do you have a pic of the intake.
If your intake is a spread bore style, this will not be ok, as you will be killing the air/fuel flow right after the carb.
You need either a good adapter, or best, a spread bore carb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 7:27PM
still no ear to cover the EGR

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

that's the only one i know of that does it right. there's an exhaust passage in the carb flange of the intake that standard generic adapters doesn't cover
72 GT Ute

bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 4:13PM
Ok, so what your telling me Max is that what I have is NO GOOD!Big smile  When I get some funding together I'll get me one that WILL work.  But I will definitely make sure it covers the EGR. Thanks Guys!
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 4:31PM
Sorry but that's just the way it is, i'd hate to see you start into the carb swap project, find out the hard way and have your car down

as mentioned you can also swap the intake manifold for weight savings and to simplify things but be aware of the difference between 2V and 4V heads

those adapter plates you have work real good on GM products, you can probably ebay them for relief at the checkout
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply