The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 torino sport transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 torino sport transmission
    Posted: 22-April-2011 at 1:10AM
Before the car is warmed up the automatic transmission will only shift manually. After it warmed up it s seems ok. Anybody have any ideas for me? I'm just a weekend basics guy, but with the right direction, I'm hoping to fix this on my own....thanks
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 3:56AM
when my car is cold, it won't even go into gear (i shift to drive and it stays in neutral) for about 30 seconds. maybe 60k miles or so on my trans. i am running a C6.

Fluid level is the first/easiest thing to check. 

Not going to put it past a clogged filter or old gunky fluid, un-common, but ya never know.

Also the vacuum modulator could be getting funky and old, not functioning properly. The vacuum modulator is the thing that tells the car when to shift based on the vacuum in the intake of your motor which changes based on load/power demand. That vac line or hose that goes from the motor to the modulator on the trans could be leaking and as the motor warms up the vacuum goes up and that leak becomes more irrelevant and less noticeable activating that modulator enough to kick it up through the gears.

What motor/transmission combo are you running?  It will help give tips on how to do a basic check on a few things, give you some exact locations on where to look.

How used and abused is the setup (miles on the motor and trans)?

Good luck
-Billy Conturo
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 3:03PM
sounds more like hard seals in the clutch packs.when trans is cool,the seals are contracted,then as the trans starts to warm /build pressure the seals start to expand thus applying the clutch.you need to exactly note what gears are affected when the problem occurs. then find application chart for your trans type,and see clutches or bands are applied in the problem gear.most of the time you diag the concern just  by reading the application chart.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 4:48PM
Yup, sounds like a classic case of Morning Sickness

What does AAMCO stand for?

All Automatics Must Come Out

you can try a seal conditioner product like Trans-Medic, might even 'fix' it for  while but there's an overhaul comin up
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2011 at 3:46AM
wow, I was going to start off with the basics before pulling and ripping its guts out. I hate automatics, you need like 1000 friggin' specialty tools to rebuild them and have to keep track of 10000000 little clutches, bands, screws, gaskets, seals, planetary this, and governor that. I still forget the check valve ball for the vacuum mod on my carb when I rebuild it, I can't imagine how many damn parts id forget to put back into a tranns and then realize after I put it back together.

I am glad to hear what the more tranny savvy folks have to say about this. I was just making suggestions on the basics, hope I wasn't leading in the wrong direction.

Just a question, when do the seals tend to go bad?
-Billy Conturo
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2011 at 4:03AM
the basics always apply but it's not a band adjustment. A-T's need good fluid at the correct level and vacuum to the modulator to operate. fluid in the mod hose is a sign that it needs replacing, and just because the hose is connected down below doesn't mean that it's not cracked or disconnected somewhere in between... but a cold / warm trans problem usually isn't vcuum related either.

seals harden up and shrink with age, leaky hard shrunken seals don't hold hydraulic pressure so good. old time remedy was a Psshht of Brake Fluid
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply