The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 finger vs diaphram clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 finger vs diaphram clutch
    Posted: 03-May-2011 at 2:51PM
not sure if this has been discussed before,anybody used diaphram type  over factory style 3 finger pressure plate? and what were your results? would be using the stock z-bar setup.thanks in advance for your results.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 4:14PM

Honestly i can not tell you, but i can say the 3 finger clutch in my ford trucks last the longest and less trouble, on the other hand the diaphram in my mustangs seem to grap even when i released the clutch, for quicker shifts, but how ever i had one of the tabs(fingers) on the diaphram to bend just a hair and the clutch would not work this happen twice. i quess it is really up to the driver on personal peference. just my 2 cents

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 6:27PM
I have heard on occasion with the factory pedal setup and manual linkage, the diaphram clutches can have issues of the pedal getting stuck to the floor.
I stuck a heavy duty clutch 3 finger pack in my GTS and no regrets.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
CheeseSteakJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeseSteakJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 6:54AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I have heard on occasion with the factory pedal setup and manual linkage, the diaphram clutches can have issues of the pedal getting stuck to the floor.
I stuck a heavy duty clutch 3 finger pack in my GTS and no regrets.

I converted my girlfriend's 1967 Mustang to a diaphragm clutch and fixed the pedal return problem with a stiffer clutch return spring. $4 at a hardware store.

By most accounts, diaphragm clutches tend to offer a much more consistent clutch feel (instead of the slightly more on/off feel of a three-finger), and are much less likely to chatter during engagement due to having many, many more support points.

Freakin' love the clutch in the Mustang since I changed it over, and I never intend to use another 3-finger.

Post Reply Post Reply